Help identifying this component

Hi all,

I'm wondering what the component marked "100" is?
I think it's a small speaker. If so, any idea where I could get a replacement?

Also, I assume it only has two connections, look like top left and bottom right?

Thanks!

You didn't give me a 3D view or show the whole PCB which would have helped, but I would call that a ferrite core inductor. Is it on a power converter?

When you are sleuthing, you need to think out of the box. Read the IC, look it up, it's a
ST1S14 step down converter IC

and you can look at application circuits there, you will likely see some inductor in the circuit.

1 Like

I think not

1 Like

Why do you think you need a replacement?

@aarg @killzone_kid my bad guys, I should have included more photos instead of assuming.. here are more below. The speaker has stopped working in this device. Could it be the silver "thing" which has two contacts, and press fits onto the main board? It used to give nice loud sounds so I thought the speaker must be quite beefy..

Probably the silver "things" is the speaker.
I'm sure the one in the first post is the inductor.

1 Like

I doubt that the silver thing is a speaker. Looks more like a shield can to me. There is a thing with two contacts in the second image, I think that's probably it but the picture is too dark to tell.

could a speaker or microphone

1 Like

I took a better photo of this, could it be a combined speaker and shield can?

Yes, probably. Ohm the contacts while the DMM is set to diode test, you might even hear a click. You might measure some ohms and it would help identify the speaker.

Photos from other than dead on axis would help, as would multiple photos from different angles.

We can’t turn the part like you can, try to show us everything you can see as long as you going to the trouble. To take pictures.

a7

2 Likes

I don't think the silver object itself will vibrate but it looks has 2-terminal so the component probably has a built-in speaker function.
Put a tone from Arduino into the two terminals and check if the sound comes out? :grin:

1 Like

With a series resistor.

1 Like

Now I am ignoring the inductor :clown_face: I can see the twp contacts go to a K990 chip, googling shows this is a power amp. So it seems very likely to be the speaker part. As for what type/getting a replacement it does not seem hopeful. Interesting nonetheless.

Hey name neighbour! :smiley:

depends what you want to achieve, you can use entirely different speaker, you can open that enclosure and see if you can find a replacement for built in speaker. the power amp could be dead not the speaker. something else could be dead, not power amp or speaker.

1 Like

Yes that is true, it's a matter of how much effort vs cost I want to give it I suppose. I could use oscilloscope at output of the K990, try another speaker, etc..

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=iphone+repleacment+speaker+&go=Search&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&pq=iphone+repleacment+speaker+&sc=0-27&cvid=F479738660FF4B92B1EA309985A9B93B&first=1&tsc=ImageBasicHover

8 Ohm speaker

1 Like

The equations change with circumstances. And age.

I get mileage out of fixing things that are broken; sometimes someone will convince my I am wasting my time…

Never too soon to realize time is the only truly precious resource and should be valued accordionly.

a7

1 Like

The iPhone 6S looks suspiciously like it, thanks.