Help, im a n00b

im trying to build a circuit which takes words or phrases i input into the computer convert it to both binary and Morse code, and then outputs it using 8 leds for the binary and 1 led for the Morse code.

for starters what do i need. will i only need the leds, wires, breadboards, arduino, and a computer or would i also need stuff like a button and a serial monitor.

in addition to that how would i tell the computer to receive the input string and translate it. i could figure out all the junk for the actual translation but i have no idea how to tell the computer to receive the input

thanks so much :smiley:

1. Baby steps.

Have you got an LED blinking yet?

1. Serial In/Out.

Have you got a program working with the arduino responding to Serial commands you type on the PC via the Serial Monitor/Putty/A python script etc?

what do i need. will i only need the leds, wires, breadboards, arduino, and a computer

The only thing you need to add to the list would be resistors. 1 for each LED. 200 Ohms should be good.
the serial monitor is part of the arduino software and will work fine for input to the arduino.

As Johnny010 alluded to. You need to take the time to at least work you way through some basic tutorial's.
there are many out there and a couple of hours spent will teach you most of what you need to know.

This thread: [Serial Input Basics](http://what do i need. will i only need the leds, wires, breadboards, arduino, and a computer) is a good tutorial on how to send stuff from the computer to the arduino.