help improving transmission/reception range for 433mhz project

hi there, new user.....

a friend helped me build a system using arduino nano and this transmitter and receivers:

433M-1-Transmitter-module-4-Wireless-Relay-Controller-for-Arduino-UNO

my problem is the range, it just isn't enough. just a few meters and i need more.

the transmitter antenna is 1/4 wave length strait wire...

i would like to extend the range by replacing the transmitter and if need the receiver units.

taught of using something like this:

SX1278-433MHz-E32-433T30D-30dBm-LoRa-Long-Range-433M-Transceiver

but i don't know if its compatible and how to actually connect it and make it work with my system.

would love your input and suggestions on what to use and how....

thank you very much,
Guy.

I am struggeling with the same thing where I need long range transmission (> 1km) on a farm. I just ordered these at Ali: 2Sets/lot LoRa32u4 II Lora Development Board Module IOT LiPo Atmega328 SX1276 HPD13 868MHz 915Mhz+GSM IPX IPEX 1.13 UF.L Antenna|set 2|lipo modulelipo 2 - AliExpress These are 868MHz, but you can find similar boards with 433MHz. It should be easy to hook up sensors, relays etc. Another interesting feature is that they are bi-directional. However: they may be too expensive for your purpose.

This is why I am tinkering with a bare chip arduino and cheap 433MHz senders: low power, low budget

Changing the antenna may work: I succesfully followed these instructions and was able to improve reception: https://www.instructables.com/id/433-MHz-Coil-loaded-antenna/

For my home I ordered this baby:

http://www.rfxcom.com/epages/78165469.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2F78165469

From what understand it will read all / most 433MHz gadgets already in the house, something I was unable to do with a cheap 433MHz sender/receiver pair.

Good luck!

range is based on things in the way.
line of sight videos on you-tube show incredible distances.
the newer LoRa modules send slow signals, but long distances.

in the old days, we would say to put repeaters so you can increase range.

once you find your way to the internet, global distance becomes the result of your nearest internet connection.
cell phones can be used.

as a note about the cheap modules, it seems there are lots of complaints that almost seem like you get 1 centimeter for every Yuan in cost. the problems we have is understanding the exchange rate to dollars....

this might help for your long distance problem.

RandomNerds

fishburn:
I would like to extend the range by replacing the transmitter and if need the receiver units.

taught of using something like this:

SX1278-433MHz-E32-433T30D-30dBm-LoRa-Long-Range-433M-Transceiver

Why do you imagine you need a 1W transmitter ? Its probably illegal to use anyway, the unlicensed 434Mhz ISM band is limited to 10mW in most places.

You can get 433Mhz LoRa devices for around $4, they are good for around 1000km with line of sight between TX and RX, probably 1km at ground level in urban areas, at a mere 10mW. There are Arduino libraries for the devices.

These long ranges are obtained at low data rates, 100bps or so, but that is absolutly fine for a lot of sensor applications.

We get over 200m typically in open air with the cheapy Hope 433Mhz tx / rx.

I use a 170mm whip ( actually a bit of sprung curtain net wire ) on the remote control. with a rubber tip to stop users poking their eyes :slight_smile: !.

On the receive side, I have a 170mm track of the LED display printed circuit board connected to the receiver antenna.
It is behind the polycarb window, and the signal gets through fine.

I line the inside of the plastic remote box at the top with ally foil , connected to the ground of the BNC antenna socket as a sort of ground plane. ( RF is not my strongpoint, even though I qualified as a radio ham in about 1964 )
The only time we had a complaint with range, is when I was told that the remote used to work anywhere on the sports fields for the last 2 years, but he now has to walk half way down the field to get it to operate.

I asked him if that was on new batteries ? ( 3 x AAA )
He said " it has batteries ? "

srnet:
Why do you imagine you need a 1W transmitter ? Its probably illegal to use anyway, the unlicensed 434Mhz ISM band is limited to 10mW in most places.

You can get 433Mhz LoRa devices for around $4, they are good for around 1000km with line of sight between TX and RX, probably 1km at ground level in urban areas, at a mere 10mW. There are Arduino libraries for the devices.

These long ranges are obtained at low data rates, 100bps or so, but that is absolutly fine for a lot of sensor applications.

can i use this transmitter with my nano ? will the current receivers work with it or do i have to replace them also?