Help!! (Lesson 11 Membrane Switch Module!!)

I'm new to Arduino and I'm following the cd provided for the MEGA 2560 starter kit. I'm stuck on lesson 11 and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I plugged in the wires, uploaded the "keypad zip file and the sketch successfully, but when I turn on the serial monitor and press a button on the keypad, nothing happens.

Here's pictures of my setup:

Please post the code that you are using

The picture of your setup does not really tell us anything. A simple drawing of the circuit would be better

I'm sorry, the picture I wanted to upload didn't. There's a new one there now. And here's the code from the cd:

#include <Keypad.h>

const byte ROWS = 4; //four rows
const byte COLS = 4; //four columns
//define the cymbols on the buttons of the keypads
char hexaKeys[ROWS][COLS] = {
{'1','2','3','A'},
{'4','5','6','B'},
{'7','8','9','C'},
{'*','0','#','D'}
};
byte rowPins[ROWS] = {12,14,27,26}; //connect to the row pinouts of the keypad
byte colPins[COLS] = {25,23,32,35}; //connect to the column pinouts of the keypad

//initialize an instance of class NewKeypad
Keypad customKeypad = Keypad( makeKeymap(hexaKeys), rowPins, colPins, ROWS, COLS);

void setup(){
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop(){
char customKey = customKeypad.getKey();

if (customKey){
Serial.println(customKey);
}
}

(deleted)

I understand they're not the same thing. This was a gift given to me and now im trying to understand it. Am I not able to get help in this forum?

The picture shows wires connected to pins 2 to 9, but the code has something completely different:

byte rowPins[ROWS] = {12,14,27,26}; //connect to the row pinouts of the keypad
byte colPins[COLS] = {25,23,32,35}; //connect to the column pinouts of the keypad

(deleted)

There is an error in the lesson. They ask you to wire up the keypad using certain pins, but the code uses different pins. Fix the code as follows...

Replace:
{12,14,27,26}
{25,23,32,35}

with:
{9,8,7,6}
{5,4,3,2}

You will find similar errors in other lessons. Most of the time the schematic doesn't match the code. It's usually easier to fix the code to match the schematic. If you notice pins 2 through 9 are used on the schematic, not the double digital numbers they used in their program.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .
Then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Thanks.. Tom.... :slight_smile: