Help! Machine proyect, 8 Stepper Motors.

Hi there! I'm about to begin building a Machine. It runs 7 Nema 17 Step Motors, and one Nema 23. I'm a newbie, so it's going to be challenging, but I got the time and hopefully the brains to put it together. What would I need to build and control this proyect? Is arduino capable of this?

Saludos From Mexico. El Velle.

I'm trying to convert a small lathe to CNC and use it as a platform for 3D printing so it will need 4 stepper motors.

I'm new to stepper motors and CNC so I've been trying to learn. I got a lot of useful information and links from the Reprap wiki http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap_Options

I am planning to use a piece of Arduino software called Sprinter (mentioned and linked on the Reprap pages) which needs an Arduino Mega as an Uno hasn't enough memory. From what I can see the Sprinter code is easy to follow. I've no idea whether a Mega would be able to do enough calculations per second to manage 8 steppers but I suspect it's taken some effort to get the program to work well with 4.

Of course if your machine only needs to run one or two motors at any one time The Arduino would probably have plenty of capacity.

...R

Vellenaweth: Hi there! I'm about to begin building a Machine. It runs 7 Nema 17 Step Motors, and one Nema 23. I'm a newbie, so it's going to be challenging, but I got the time and hopefully the brains to put it together. What would I need to build and control this proyect? Is arduino capable of this?

I suggest you buy a stepper motor driver module for each stepper motor. If your motors need no more than 1.5A and 35V, then you can use A4988-based stepper modules. These are widely available from Pololu, eBay and elsewhere. You can drive those modules from the Arduino using 1 dedicated pin per module, plus between 1 and 7 shared pins depending on what features of the A4988 you want to use.

I've just got the Pololu A4988 drivers and they seem to do a lot of the complex stuff needed to make the steppers work well while only needing 2 Arduino pins each.

However I imagine that a lot of computing will be needed to produce a stream of co-ordinated steps and directions for 8 stepper motors if they all have to work in concert.

...R

Robin2: I've just got the Pololu A4988 drivers and they seem to do a lot of the complex stuff needed to make the steppers work well while only needing 2 Arduino pins each.

However I imagine that a lot of computing will be needed to produce a stream of co-ordinated steps and directions for 8 stepper motors if they all have to work in concert.

The amount of computing needed depends on how fast the OP wants to move the steppers, the extent to which they need to move at at same time in a synchronized manner, and on whether microstepping is needed to get the desired resolution. Without knowing more about the machine, it's impossible to say whether a particular Arduino model can provide enough computing power.

You certainly will want to look at GRBL though. GitHub - grbl/grbl: An open source, embedded, high performance g-code-parser and CNC milling controller written in optimized C that will run on a straight Arduino

yOU guys Rule! Thank!

It is a Simple Machine, no complex Math, and way too much more simple than a CNC. Motors are used to drive some Igus Parts... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1F-Fy7TOxs). In fact, the motors will operate sequentialy, and wil have probably 3 at the most at the same time, but as I mentioned before, they don't interact directly. I'll post some photos. Thanks.