Help me to choose what to buy..

Hello dear Arduino community! :slight_smile:

I’m totally new to the eletronic things and arduino. Never used anything of that. I watched some Arduino tutorials and I really like it.

I found an Arduino Kit on aliexpress for a reasonable price

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Arduino-Starter-Kit-for-arduino-Uno-R3-9G-Server-arduino-sensor-1602-LCD-jumper-Wire-UNO/32808269674.html

Is that okay to start with? I’m having a budget problems so expensive kits of official stores aren’t something I can afford right now.

Thanks for all your reactions. All best to you all, Bel :slight_smile:

What do you want to do with it? What project?

I for one don't buy anything without a pre-determined use, especially things that really cost money, like sensors and microprocessors. Don't look at the "just give me a handful" type stuff such as resistors, capacitors and LEDs, those are dirt cheap.

So that's my advice for you: think of what you want to build, get the parts, and start learning. Find a project you can grind your teeth on - even something as simple an automatic plant watering system has a lot to go for it: the input (when to start watering), the output (the amount of water to add), and alarms (reservoir empty). Incidentally the starter kit you linked to doesn't have much useful for such a project. The overall price of it sounds pretty reasonable, though, for what you get.

Hey wvmarle, thanks for your reply.

I don't know what I want to do yet. I'm just really surprised how many possibilities Arduino has. It's able to make anything possible if used the right way.

I think I'll get the kit I posted above, I'll also try to buy some motors to build a RC car, boat or something like that :) If you got any tips or good project I'll be happy to check them!

Best regards :)

Don't buy that kit. Most of those components you will never use. And there is stuff missing that you will need to buy extra. Spend your money more wisely. You can get plenty of advice on this forum about what to buy, one you have chosen a beginner project.

My advice is don't buy an Uno unless you want to buy a specific shield. The Uno was designed to have shields connected to it. If you want to build a project on a breadboard, Uno is a stupid choice, because you can't plug an Uno into a breadboard. Get a Nano, Micro etc which is much easier to use with breadboard circuits.

How about building a clock?

Indeed they can do a lot.

If you want WiFi connectivity for your project, take a look at the NodeMCU or WeMOS boards. The latter is even Arduino pin compatible. Program them almost exactly the same as an Arduino, built in WiFi, I love them. Prices are about the same.

Agreed you’ll likely never use many pats of that kit. Think of a project you want to build, figure out what components you need, and get those. Learn that you got some of the wrong sensors, put them on the shelf (fair chance you’ll find a use later), get the correct ones - that’s part of the learning curve. As a result I have for example a number of NodeMCU boards here, some never used, as I’ve moved on to more barebones ESP-12 modules. Now only using NodeMCU for basic software tests, as they’re easier to program than the ESP-12s.

WeMOS boards. The latter is even Arduino pin compatible.

You're talking about the D1 R2, which was an Uno shaped board. They stopped making them. They were not so popular, and there were a lot of complaints. Making it the shape of an Uno gave customers the impression it would be compatible with most Arduino shields. A few shields worked but most did not. There was the voltage difference, plus the lack of analog input pins. It was a brave idea that did not work well enough.

From the start, the D1 mini was far more popular and successful for Wemos. It was smaller, cheaper, and did not try to be something it was not. It was Arduino IDE compatible but had its own form factor and Wemos made a number of mini shields for it. Now there are Pro and Lite versions of the D1 mini available.

I used to have one of those D1R2 boards; lost it after miswiring a MOSFET and feeding 12V to one of the GPIO ports. Tossed it away after the MOSFET cooled down and the smoke had cleared :-) I've never tried Arduino shields with them. Using the NodeMCU boards now, though those are so wide they completely cover a breadboard, no way to connect anything else to it.

The Wemos minis leave one hole uncovered on each side of a standard breadboard. I use 6-hole breadboards, so I have two uncovered holes on each side. You can run wires underneath too, although it's not exactly convenient.