Help me to create a Secret Handshake that unlocks the door.

Hey, Arduino community.

I need your help.

This is my first Arduino project, and I have no clue what to do. :slight_smile:

So I have this idea: I want to create a hand-shaped door handle and when someone ‘shakes the hand with a secret handshake’, it unlocks the door.

I’ve created a silicone hand and now need to find a way to how to create the secret hand-shake bit.

The best solution that I’ve come up so far is that I could implant few buttons inside the hand and when someone presses these buttons in a correct sequence (similar to the keypad) it unlocks the door.

Is that the right solution? Is that even doable? What should I do to make it happen? What Arduino parts and code I should use to make this happen?

I attached an image of places where I want to implant the buttons.

I found this Arduino lock: Setting Up the Electronic Door Lock | Remote controlled door lock using a fingerprint sensor & Adafruit IO | Adafruit Learning System

I just need to know how to trigger it to unlock by pressing on three buttons.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Martins

Image from Original Post so we don't have to download it. See this Simple Image Guide

...R

Do you plan to locate the buttons secretly so that only those who are authorised know where they are? And the order in which the buttons are pressed is irrelevant - as long as they are all pressed at the same time?
OR
Will the buttons be visible and the security is provided by pressing them in a specific order?

IMHO 3 buttons does not provide much security unless you implement a long interval between a failed attempt and the time ehen the next attempt can be made.

To be honest, I think you will find the system frustrating to use compared to a regular keypad.

...R

There are multiple threads on the subject of 'pushbutton combination lock'. You may find inspiration there.

Thanks, Robin2, dougp

@Robin2 - I've been thinking to hide them underneath the surface, so only people who know where to press can find them. I've also been thinking that buttons could be pressed separately. BUT - I'm really open to this. I do also like the idea that they are pressed all together. That way I can plant some misleading buttons inside the hand to confuse people. Only those who know where the right buttons are can open the door.

@dougp - Thanks, dude - I'll have look.

m

I'd attach the hand on top of one of those arcade joysticks and encode the "handshake" as a sequence of directions:

It would be creepy as hell! :astonished: