Help me with a university project in poultry

Hi there,

We are preparing a project in my university for a poultry farm. We want to make some sampling points (probably 3 ) in the farm that measure temperature, humidity, co2 and nh3 and log the data in a laptop netbook or sd card ( the most easy way). Can you help me with the hardware that i am gonna need for all these ? Also which is the most easy way to data log the measurements ?

Thanks in advance

the most easy way

Rather than the best way. I see where this project is headed.

Can you help me with the hardware that i am gonna need for all these ?

A temperature sensor, a humidity sensor, a CO2 sensor, a NH3 sensor, an Arduino, and a USB serial cable. You’ll have to get those things yourself.

Also which is the most easy way to data log the measurements ?

logTheMeasurements();

@tsotos, your question is too wide-ranging.

Yes you can easily do what you want with an Arduino.

After that, you need to make some practial decisions.

• How far apart are the measuring points?
  • Will you need a separate Arduino at each point?
  • How will they be powered?
  • How do you want to collect the data from each of them - are they close enough to be connected by cables, or do you need wireless?
  • Is WiFi an option?

and there are probably many more issues to consider.

...R

first of all thank you for answering so soon. I have to make 3 sampling points, The first will be about 2 meters from arduino the second 5 and the third 8 meters from arduino. I think its possible to connect with wires. If i connect the arduino with a breadboard and then the sensors with the breadboard will be ok ? Is it possible to connect the arduino with laptop and store tha data to the laptop or its more easy to buy a datalogger shield ? Also I see that there are two co2 sensors, The mq135 and the mg811. Which of them are better to use ? Thanks in advance

You have to answer a question before questioning if you will usr laptop or not. Question is, what.are you going to do with the data? Upload it to a cloud? Display it on charts locally? Display it on an app?

store the data for experimental uses ...

tsotos: The first will be about 2 meters from arduino the second 5 and the third 8 meters from arduino. I think its possible to connect with wires.

Why not put the Arduino at the first sampling position ? Or why not locate it so it is as close as possible to all 3 positions ?

I suspect that you will find it difficult to read sensors accurately if they are at the end of 8 metres of wire - especially if there is other electrical noise in the area. Even at 5 metres there may be a problem. The only way to know for certain is to carry out some tests.

If you can't read the sensors over 8 metres of cable you will need to have an Arduino at each sensor location. You could then arrange for one Arduino to act as Master and gather the data from the others for onwards transmission or for storage on an SD Card.

Before you start spending money on Shields consider whether a Yun would make sense as it has an SD Card slot, WiFi and a Linux computer in addition to its Arduino.

...R

its possible to place the arduino in the mid point so the other 2 points be shorter. What's the difference between mg811 and mq135 ? Will be more easy to program the arduino to log into an sd or into a laptop? I saw about the yun but i think it has fewer pins than i need for the sensors. Am i wrong ? Thanks in advance

tsotos,

as you can see, we do not alwsy answer questions.

pauls was pretty spot on. you need the sensors, but you knew that.

the distance is important because you cannot run wires for miles and transfer data easily. wireless has restrictions, walls and such.

you could have 3 separate modules, and a master that you use to poll each unit to collect the data. you could connect all the sensors with wires and have one central unit.

what I would suggest is that you spend some time searching for sensors you like. a hint is to use the word arduino in your google search.

temperature arduino nh3 arduino

I would also suggest you get an uno, a sd shield, with real time clock some sensors start programming for that one unit with sensors. you will find that many answers will reveal themselves as you progress.

tsotos: its possible to place the arduino in the mid point so the other 2 points be shorter. What's the difference between mg811 and mq135 ? Will be more easy to program the arduino to log into an sd or into a laptop? I saw about the yun but i think it has fewer pins than i need for the sensors. Am i wrong ? Thanks in advance

the uno has 2 less analog inputs than the mini. not sure why, but on the mini, they brought out 2 more pins. assuming this is a school project, the wire length is too long for one unit. the professor would make it that way to force you to 'figure it out' networks or some such.

as I see this project, you have

data acquisition.
data storage
networking

each of these can be handled independently because they are independent.

once you have figured these out, the next logical step is data presentation.
if you choose to use the internet as your networking you can use it for data storage and offer a website for data presentation.

tsotos: Will be more easy to program the arduino to log into an sd or into a laptop?

I think it will be more productive for you if you try writing some programs - you don't need the sensors, you can fake them to start with.

Write short programs to write to an SDCard and to send data to a PC. You need that experience to understand the questions to ask and to make sense of the answers.

I saw about the yun but i think it has fewer pins than i need for the sensors.

I was not thinking of a Yun doing everything. I was assuming it would be the master and you would have two other Arduinos acting as data-collection slaves at the two other sensor locations.

...R

If data acquisition is just part of the project, you might just go with an inexpensive data logger.

http://www.dataq.com/data-acquisition/starter-kits/index.html?source=googledasl&gclid=CLXvvM_egccCFdcVgQodJ18Png

Hello, I'm venturing in the same path on using dht11 and mq-137. Did you develop a code? How did you calibrate the dht11 and mq-137 sensor?

WesleyJhonnes: Hello, I'm venturing in the same path on using dht11 and mq-137. Did you develop a code? How did you calibrate the dht11 and mq-137 sensor?

With no further post after this long, I suspect the project never got past the assignment phase.

Paul

WesleyJhonnes: Did you develop a code? How did you calibrate the dht11 and mq-137 sensor?

A) Write your own. It shouldn't be too hard, maybe a little time consuming (or about half an hour).

B) Your science is terrible. You seem to have no concept how to carry out basic calibration using standards and controls. Read some analytical science for beginner type books. To begin with, a simple google of "What is Instrument Calibration" will get you started.

Effort pays in knowledge. Demand pays in ignorance.