(Help) Need more pins with the Duemilanove

So here's the deal:

I'm just starting off with this whole micro controller dealio and as a first project im making a device with an accelerometer in the middle and 10 bar LED's on each of its sides (im only doing one axis). The whole idea is that if you lean it one direction more leds will light up in that direction and the same in the other direction. I think its pretty simple.

So first off id like to mention that i am multiplexing, well charlieplexing to be more accurate i think.. im not quite sure. Ive got the multiplexing in the bag, so thats not the issue. The point is i need 10 digital HIGH outputs and 2 or 4 (four is better) digital LOW outputs. Now i was told by the people at my work that i should not use digital pins 0 and 1 cause of the TX and RX and something else. I don't understand why i shouldn't be using those ports (if someone can describe why in baby language that would be great). Otherwise, it means that without pins 0 and 1 i have pins 2-13 which is just 11. I need minimum 12 digital outputs. I was wondering if i could make a analog input into a digital output, but i really haven't the slightest clue. Ideas? solutions? feel free to flame and direct me else where as ive honestly done little searching of THIS forum for solutions.

I was wondering if i could make a analog input into a digital output, but i really haven't the slightest clue.

Yes, you can use the analog input pins as digital input or output pins. Just use digital pin numbers 14 to 19 to utilize analog pins 0 to 5 respectively.

By the way you are free to utilize pins 0 and 1 if you are not utilizing serial communications once your sketch starts running. But any external circuitry wired to pins 0 or 1 needs to not interfere with serial communications when uploading new sketches. For that reasons most people leave pins 0 and 1 alone.

Lefty

sweeeeeeeeeeeet. thanks dude.