Help needed for non Dutch speaking new member!

Wow! :blush:

So where do I start. Well I started at the beginning and by that I mean I spent the whole weekend reading around this place and to be fair, I now know less than I did when I started to read.

Not through want of trying, but literally everything I have read has either gone right over my head or I just haven't understood it hahaha

Now the problem I have is, everyone I speak to about my project tells me to buy the kit from Arduino.

So the problem I have now is, well basically it is that nothing I have read has made any sense to me whatsoever. It would possibly be along the lines of me asking someone with no medical knowledge or background to deliver a baby and then administer the correct treatment to the mother for a primary postpartum haemorrhage. Now I could actually do that and to some people the correct course of action and treatment may baffle them and that is exactly how I am reading around this forum. I am completely lost haha. As ashamed as I am to say that, it is the truth.

So the reason for this post is to seek the guidance and direction of those with considerably more knowledge and experience than I in getting my project sorted.

So what I want to achieve is this;

I am looking for a transmitter and a receiver for my motorbike.

I need to attach the transmitter to the left indicator (turn signal), the right indicator and the brake (stop) light on my motorbike. I presume I can also attach it to a live cable to power it.

The receiver will need to be attached to 3 sets of lights just like the transmitter so whenever I switch on the left indicator, the right indicator or the brake light on my motorbike, the corresponding lights will work on the receiver. I will also need to power the receiver so I was hoping to do this with several rechargeable AA batteries.

With that in mind, everywhere I go I'm told to get the equipment from Arduino.

So........... Can anyone tell me if this is achievable?

Thank you.

Steve.

How far is this receiver away from the motorbike.

Wawa:
How far is this receiver away from the motorbike.

Hi,

The receiver will be in my pocket whilst I’m sat on the bike. When I am needing the lights to work it will only ever be whilst I’m sat on the bike riding it, so maybe 12 to 24 inches away at most really.

Thanks,

Steve.

You need wireless?

If so no need for arduino - just use two xBee's (or similar, hopefully cheaper) using pin pass through mode - and a bit of hacking into your bikes electronics

If you don't need wireless - again, no need for arduino, just a bit of hacking into your bikes electronics - and wire.

Also, should ask do you need your receiver lights do you want them to prove your bike lights are on, as in they sense the light from the lights themselves, or can you cope with just the receiver lights being on when the bike lights should be on. There is a distinction here that has implications for the simplicity of the project, but at the moment we don't know the reasons behind your project well enough to make that call.

But back to the arduino - maybe I missed the point, what is the arduino for? Or have people just suggested that without really listening?

Also, where will these extra/secondary lights be. Surely not in your pocket, as you won't know when they're on.

I am completely lost ...

Before you start fiddling with your motorbike, I suggest some simpler projects.

along the lines of me asking someone with no medical knowledge or background to deliver a baby

I presume you wouldn't leap in and teach them how to deliver a baby, absent any other knowledge, but would train them up about medical procedures in general?

Hi,
I think we missed the bit where the receiver lights will be?
As guessed, and I think so too, they will be in the helmet so that deafnotdaft will be able to see if he has left his indicator on, or has the brakes dragging while riding.

Tom… :slight_smile:
(Crystal Ball is hot tonight.)

Hi,

Thanks for the response so far,

The wires on my bike for the indicators have been isolated and are ready to have the wires from a transmitter to be joined to them.

The lights the transmitter is going to be sending to are located on my hi-viz vest. I have 2 indicator lights on the front for left and right. On the back of the vest I also have 3 more lights. Once again I have a left and right indicator and the third light is the brake light.

I have got all the wires for the lights passed through the vest and all coming out into the left front pocket of the vest. They are in a box for now to keep them tidy. I will also be putting the receiver in the box with the wires and batteries.

I have taken a few pictures of the vest but cannot seem able to figure out how to upload any pictures!

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will get them posted.

In the meantime, thanks for all of your suggestions and help so far, it is very much appreciated.

Steve.

Not sure if the pictures worked or not?

[

[/]

](http://s1154.photobucket.com/user/piratesteve11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_00000014_zps45nsdqzg.jpg.html)

The pictures have finally worked!

So in the first picture you can see the left and right patches that are attached by velcro. Within each pad there are 20 amber coloured rice lights forming the shape of an arrow. Should any of the lights become faulty I will be able to remove the velcro pad easily and receiver-thread another string of 20 rice lights.

The second picture again shows the left and right indicator patches each made up of 20 amber rice/leds. Between the two indicators is an oblong patch made up of 20 red rice lights.

All of the wires are fed through the inside of the vest and all come together inside the left front pocket. In the third picture you can see the plastic box all the wires are fed into. In this box I hope to put the receiver and the batteries.

Once everything is attached, the box will be put away in the pocket and zipped out of sight.

When I am sat on the bike, the transmitter will be under my seat as this is where I have accessed the wire loop for my lights.

The whole point of this is to make my braking and signalling more noticeable to oncoming and following cars as having been knocked off my bike by someone who apparently did not see me, resulting in a smashed ankle and 7 months off work unable to walk, I want other motorists to see me and my intentions as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Steve.

Nice idea that could probably be made to work without a controller (or WIFI with the right connector) but don’t think that people who don’t look and dismiss whatever is not a threat when they do will be “seeing” your lights. Until you can pass for an 18 wheeler, 40 foot bus or a scratched and dented pickup truck, you’re invisible.

Why not a straight wired connection through a plug and socket?
When you mount up, plug yourself in. When you dismount, unplug!
A 4 connection (tip + 3 rings) 3.5mm audio plug should do it.
Remember that, if you should become detached from your bike in an accident, you want the plug to detach easily so that the bike doesn't pull you along.

Henry_Best:
Remember that, if you should become detached from your bike in an accident, you want the plug to detach easily so that the bike doesn't pull you along.

This is why I want a wireless set up. :slight_smile:

Use thin wires.

GoForSmoke:
Use thin wires.

Ahahaha, that actually made me chuckle :smiley:

Henry_Best:
Why not a straight wired connection through a plug and socket?
When you mount up, plug yourself in. When you dismount, unplug!
A 4 connection (tip + 3 rings) 3.5mm audio plug should do it.

So please forgive my sheer ignorance here but how would that work? Would I need 4 separate 3.5ml jack plugs, one for each indicator, one for the brake light and the fourth for the power?

Maybe a 4- or 5-pin microphone connector, like the ones used on CB microphones.
Wired also gives you the option to power the LEDs in the vest from the bike supply.
Leo..

deafnotdaft:
So please forgive my sheer ignorance here but how would that work? Would I need 4 separate 3.5ml jack plugs, one for each indicator, one for the brake light and the fourth for the power?

No. There are 4 connections on one plug and socket.

1. common ground
  2. left indicators +ve
  3. right indicators +ve
  4. brake lights +ve

Maybe something like a PC peripheral-power connector modified to not click shut, held together by super-magnets instead of mechanical clip?
Put a magnet on either side of the port with N and S each side then matching for the plug, it won’t let you begin to plug backwards but will help when aligned right… and PC power connectors only fit one way as well.
Get the right boot for the plug and base, it would be water-resistant.

How about lights for the back of your helmet? Too much?

Advantage: no batteries to run down and replace, less electronics, no need to write code.

GoForSmoke:
Maybe something like a PC peripheral-power connector modified to not click shut, held together by super-magnets instead of mechanical clip?
Put a magnet on either side of the port with N and S each side then matching for the plug, it won't let you begin to plug backwards but will help when aligned right.... and PC power connectors only fit one way as well.
Get the right boot for the plug and base, it would be water-resistant.

How about lights for the back of your helmet? Too much?

Advantage: no batteries to run down and replace, less electronics, no need to write code.

The square supplementary power supply plugs that normally plug into a motherboard, even without the latch, are stiff enough not to need magnetic latching. Making them any stiffer could be dangerous.