HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!!

Hi everyone! Hope you can help!

I have a 1 month old Duemilanove. I run Windows Vista Home Prenium on a quite good PC.

It worked perfectly in the beginning. I plugged in and played with 5 LED's and a potentiometer and uploaded a few sketches which worked perfect.

The whole time it got its power thru USB. I then tried a other power source of +-11V From phone charger. It did power on, not with the normal sequence? and then only LED on pin 0 was flickering unstable.

It is maybe (not necessarily) possible that some of the pins named ICSP touched unnoticed.

When I now plug it in with USB, the sketch does not want to start and only pin0 flashes.

Uploading also gives a problem:

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x41

avrdude: stk500_getparm(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x41
avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x42
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
        Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
        this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I would appreciate this very very much!

Could you not post the title in caps? No need to yell!:D

and what do you mean by "when I plug it in only pin 0 flashes?"

If you have an LED on Pin 0... I suggest you move that to a different pin, the Arduino uses that for Serial connection (uploading sketches, serial.print, etc)

Try removing whatever you have on pin 0 and try again?

If that's not the case, how did you go about powering the board from the charger?

Hopefully, you used the VIN or the power jack. And ground of course.

Do let us know?

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Title in caps else no one answers... :)

I have switched it on with all pins open -> then i plug LED in pin0 and it flashes etc... have tried all possibilities.

The charger's plug fits exactly into the Arduino power jack, so I tested its volts & amps and used it.

hope this info helps

Title in caps else no one answers...

That is hardly true. Almost everything gets answered here.

You might find better response if, instead of titling your post HELP NEEDED PLEASE, you gave your post a more descriptive title like

“trouble with an external power supply”

I typically scan titles of posts for ones that I might learn something from, or ones that I think I might be able to answer. The more descriptive the title, the better people can scan and respond.

.andy

Aside from the yelling, the one thing that concerns me is this:

+-11V

Is the AC adapter rated for +11V or -11V? It's a big difference between the two. Also a phone charger may not give off a stable DC voltage. It could be a pulsed output for conditioning the battery.

Try using a 9V battery and see if the problem persists. If you have a USB type AC adapter, those are also really good.

I dont know how to say if it is + or - 11V , I meant by that earlier post was that it’s already a month ago and I could only remember that it was round about 11V DC

Ill test it with a 9V and come back to you - I already tried it with a PC’s USB cable?

Thanks a lot!