Help newbie on LCD selection

I want to find a LCD screen for project design which is design kid alarm locator. This design need to type the kid name and show battery low when low battery. I have find 16x2 serial and parrallel LCD screen but dun know how to choose it. I find also this Arduino LCD keypad sheild, but is it must use with Arduino main board? Is it suitable to be screen of my project. I want to do selected name on screen…Help.

Arduino LCD keypad sheild
Description: We are now carrying the Arduino LCD Keypad sheild. Suitable for Arduino main board which include the Arduino Duemilanove and Arduino Uno. It is sometime call navigation sheild because it comes with 6 momentary push buttons for menu navigation. Besides the push button, it also includes an 2x16 LCD (white character, Blue backlight).

Features:

• Operate at 5V
  • Uses Arduino LCD4Bit library
  • Plug and Use with Arduino main board, no solder or fly-wiring needed.
  • 2x16 LCD, White character, Blue backlight
  • 6 push buttons

Link to the shield?

liudr: Link to the shield?

Isn't your crystal ball working today?

Don

I was googling the description but found nothing. My crystal ball, is thus not working.

http://www.cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pid=LRkLIiMREzQVBRIeDBgwBsCOvfuLV!!!!!Czn2kygAxqvMo=

here the link for the keypad

but is it must use with Arduino main board?

Yes, it is a 'shield' which means that it plugs into a Arduino main board which you must purchase separately.

Is it suitable to be screen of my project.

Yes, but you should not use the modified LCD4bit library. Use the standard LiquidCrystal library and change the pin numbers to agree with the requirements of the shield.

Use ``` LiquidCrystal lcd(8, 9, 4, 5, 6, 7); ``` instead of the default ``` ** LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);** ```

A better description for the shield is here: http://www.robotshop.com/dfrobot-lcd-keypad-shield-arduino.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=jos

Don

floresta:

but is it must use with Arduino main board?

Yes, it is a ‘shield’ which means that it plugs into a Arduino main board which you must purchase separately.

Is it suitable to be screen of my project.

Yes, but you should not use the modified LCD4bit library. Use the standard LiquidCrystal library and change the pin numbers to agree with the requirements of the shield.

Use
** **LiquidCrystal lcd(8, 9, 4, 5, 6, 7);** **
instead of the default
** ** LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);** **

A better description for the shield is here: http://www.robotshop.com/dfrobot-lcd-keypad-shield-arduino.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=jos

Don

I know it can be used but I dun want that Arduino main board because it expensive and over our project budget. Project need to type in name of kid maybe use arrow button to choose (ABC…Z) and then show on the LCD screen. Is it this Arduino LCD keypad shield can work without using Arduino main board? If cannot use, I consider buying a parallel LCD and use left, right and enter button for select ?ABC…Z).Any recommend?

I consider buying a parallel LCD and use left, right and enter button for select ?ABC..Z).Any recommend?

You will not be able to accomplish what you want to do without some sort of microcontroller.

Don

skyfreedom: I know it can be used but I dun want that Arduino main board because it expensive and over our project budget.

How much is your budget in USD?