Help on a project

Hey everyone. I’m a beginner in basically everything electronics and I need some advice. I printed a moon lithophane and I wanted to make a stand that rotates the moon as well as lights it up. I wanted to use a neopixel ring (12 pixels) to light up the moon as well as a 12volt 10 rpm motor to turn the moon. The issue is that I want to plug it into the wall and have everything run using an Arduino nano or uno. Is this even possible? Can I plug it into he wall using a dc converter such as this one https://www.amazon.com/JC-Tech-UL-Listed-Switching-Supply-Adapter/dp/B07VGNBPF6/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=R-Tech+JC-Tech+DC12V+1A+Ul-Listed+Switching+Power+Supply+Adapter+for+CCTV+-+5+Pack+-+Black&qid=1607317964&sr=8-2 To plug directly into the uno or nano. Then run the neopixel ring and the motor from that? Or will something end up frying? To whoever ends up responding to this thank you so much!!

1 Amp, I doubt it will run. How much current does the motor draw? (Stall current is the more important spec). To be safe, your PSU should be 150% to 200% of your anticipated load. So if your motor plus Arduino plus Neopixal need 3 Amps, then use a 5 Amp power supply.

This is what I use in my LED displays:

You are correct in your thinking that you can (and should) power the Arduino and peripherals this way. Are you using a 12V NeoPixel? If it’s a 5V Neo then you should power it and the Arduino with a separate 5V supply. Like this one:

tobsun.jpg

I looked for the amperage of the motor and I can’t find anything. Amazon doesn’t link the specs. But I’ll link the motor. I was talking about the 5V neopixel ring, it just has 12 pixels https://www.amazon.com/Lheng-Miniature-Geared-Motor-Terminal/dp/B07S2KWRWQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Lheng+DC+Miniature+Geared+Motor+12V+10RPM+Small+Motor+Motor+with+Terminal+Mute+Gear+2Pcs&qid=1607319962&sr=8-1 And Is it possible to find other dc adapters for more amps? I’m trying to make this stand as compact as possible

Such as this one https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Supply-Adapter-Camera-CY-123000/dp/B07XMC9D6R/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=AC+to+DC+12V+3A+Power+Supply+Adapter+5.5mm+x+2.1mm+for+CCTV+Camera+DVR+NVR+UL+Listed+FCC&qid=1607320205&sr=8-1

Absent the specifications, you won't know how much current the motor draws without getting one and measuring it with a DVM. If you are getting the motor from Amazon, there should be an "ask a question" button somewhere.

If you are going to be experimenting with Arduinos in the future, go ahead and buy a 5-10 Amp power supply for your bench testing.

I’ll ask on amazon and hopefully update. I’ll also look into the power supply. Thank you so much!!!

If let’s say I forgo the motor. Would I be able to just use an Arduino nano and a neopixel ring plugged directly into the wall using a 1amp adapter?

In my country PSUs like Steve has shown are incredibly expensive compared to what is available in the US/Amazon. So an alternative would be that if you have an old laptop power supply that would make a fine supply as well. I use old laptop power supplies with buck converters for many of my projects.

Just a suggestion of another option to power your project.

nachumtwersly: If let’s say I forgo the motor. Would I be able to just use an Arduino nano and a neopixel ring plugged directly into the wall using a 1amp adapter?

The more thing you drive with your arduino the more power it will use so it is not a fixed value. The Nano draws 19mA idle but this will increase the more things you attach to it. As for the neopixel each LED should draw around 20mA. So 1A should be more than enough.

nachumtwersly: If let’s say I forgo the motor. Would I be able to just use an Arduino nano and a neopixel ring plugged directly into the wall using a 1amp adapter?

Again, how much current do your components need? If you aren't using a 12V motor, then get a 5V PSU for the Nano and Neopixel ring. (I am assuming the Neopixel Ring is 5V).

According to Wessel my components aren’t drawing nearly 1 amp. The nano draws 19mA and the pixel is 20mA per led so I should be good wit 1 amp

nachumtwersly: According to Wessel my components aren’t drawing nearly 1 amp. The nano draws 19mA and the pixel is 20mA per led so I should be good wit 1 amp

It draws 19mA idle. So remember to add the current requirements any devices you add to the nano. If you are only using the neopixel then 1 amp should be fine. Could even use a 5v cellphone charger then.

Amazing. Thank you so much everyone!!!