Help on reading data from Arduino UNO with GSM (Serial or USB?)

I've been researching around the internet for a few days now on how to read an SMS message from an Arduino UNO with GSM shield using a Windows desktop application.

I am confused as to what I am going to use for reading since USB also means Universal Serial Bus. I've learned that it's possible for the computer application to read data from the Serial and from the USB. I need to know if I am going for the Serial route or the USB route. Concerning the Arduino unit, I'll be using the GSM library included in the IDE. The computer application will be developed in C#, if ever this information is needed.

I usually just program Arduino units to do isolated tasks like a simple traffic light system, but I never got around with reading data from the Arduino unit so I'm having a hard time deciphering.

I've been researching around the internet for a few days now on how to read an SMS message from an Arduino UNO with GSM shield using a Windows desktop application.

You seem to think that your Windows app will be able to connect, somehow, to the GSM shield. It will not.

Your Windows app can send messages, via the serial port, asking the Arduino to ask the GSM shield for information. The Arduino can then send that information back to the PC app, via the serial port.

I need to know if I am going for the Serial route or the USB route.

Serial.

Thanks. Got it. :slight_smile: