Help please with creating a Rangefinder with Processing.

Hi,

I am trying to take on this project:
http://luckylarry.co.uk/arduino-projects/arduino-processing-make-a-radar-screen-part-3-visualising-the-data-from-sharp-infrared-range-finder/

The original code for Arduino:

/*
luckylarry.co.uk
Radar Screen Visualisation for Sharp GP2Y0A02 IR range finder
Sends sensor readings for every degree moved by the servo
values sent to serial port to be picked up by Processing
*/
#include <Servo.h>            // include the standard servo library
Servo leftRightServo;         // set a variable to map the servo
int leftRightPos = 0;         // set a variable to store the servo position
const int numReadings = 10;   // set a variable for the number of readings to take
int index = 0;                // the index of the current reading
float total = 0;              // the total of all readings must be a float to allow totaling of float values
int average = 0;              // the average
int IRpin = 1;                // analog pin for reading the IR sensor

/* setup the pins, servo and serial port */
void setup() { 
  leftRightServo.attach(9);
  // initialize the serial port:
  Serial.begin(9600);
} 

/* begin rotating the servo and getting sensor values */
void loop() { 
  for(leftRightPos = 0; leftRightPos < 180; leftRightPos++) {  // going left to right.                                
    leftRightServo.write(leftRightPos);             
      for (index = 0; index<=numReadings;index++) {            // take x number of readings from the sensor and average them
        float volts = analogRead(IRpin)*0.0048828125;          // value from sensor * (5/1024) - if running 3.3.volts then change 5 to 3.3
        float distance = 65*pow(volts, -1.10);                 // worked out from graph 65 = theretical distance / (1/Volts)S - luckylarry.co.uk
        total = total + distance;                              // update total
        delay(20);
      }
    average = (int) total/numReadings;                         // create average reading CAST TO INT!! remove the decimal places

if (index >= numReadings)  {                               // reset the counts when at the last item of the array    
      index = 0;           
      total = 0;     
    }
    Serial.print("X");                                         // print leading X to mark the following value as degrees
    Serial.print(leftRightPos);                                // current servo position
    Serial.print("V");                                         // preceeding character to separate values
    Serial.println(average);                                   // average of sensor readings
  }
  /* 
  start going right to left after we got to 180 degrees 
  same code as above
  */
  for(leftRightPos = 180; leftRightPos > 0; leftRightPos--) {  // going right to left                                
    leftRightServo.write(leftRightPos);             
    for (index = 0; index<=numReadings;index++) {
      float volts = analogRead(IRpin)*0.0048828125;            // value from sensor * (5/1024) - if running 3.3.volts then change 5 to 3.3
      float distance = 65*pow(volts, -1.10);                   // worked out from graph 65 = theretical distance / (1/Volts)S - luckylarry.co.uk
      total = total + distance;
      delay(20);
    }
    average = (int) total/numReadings;  
    if (index >= numReadings)  {           
      index = 0;           
      total = 0;     
    }
    Serial.print("X");
    Serial.print(leftRightPos);
    Serial.print("V");
    Serial.println(average);
   }  
}

However I have two problems at the moment:

1. I don´t have an IR sensor but an Ultrasonic HC-SRO4 instead. I don´t know what to modify on the original code to make it work.

2. When I download the Processing code I get the error message “ArrayIndexOutOfBoundExeption: 1”
    The error seems to came from the following line of code:

myPort = new Serial(this, Serial.list()[1], 9600);

My wiring:

• Servo attached to pin 9

• Ultrasonic Sensor: Trig to pin 6 and Eco to pin 7

• COM port assigned by Arduino at the moment: 21

Please help me. Thanks!

If you put the below line in processing before the error line what comm ports does it list? For me the arduino is always on entry [0] not [1]

println(Serial.list());                                 // List all the available serial ports

Thanks for answering.

I put the line in the code in Processing. As I expected it printed "COM21".

The error line in Processing goes like this:

myPort = new Serial(this, Serial.list()[21], 9600);

Error: ArrayIndexOutofBound: 21

I don´t know what is wrong!

biotech: I put the line in the code in Processing. As I expected it printed "COM21".

The error line in Processing goes like this:

myPort = new Serial(this, Serial.list()[21], 9600);

Error: ArrayIndexOutofBound: 21

I don´t know what is wrong!

If the only printed result was COM21 then it is the first entry in the array of comm ports so you should be using

myPort = new Serial(this, Serial.list()[0], 9600);

Or

myPort = new Serial(this, "COM21", 9600);