Help requested for a unique problem (looked hrs online..)

Hi everyone!,

I would like to control my robot with a PC but don't see anything in the forums that go to my specific problem. My PC is hooked up PC USB to Micro USB for Arduino Uno (use this program cable to send signals for control by PC Xbox 360 Control). Is this even possible and any alternative solution or solution will be appreciated.

*The primary reason that I want direct connection, is for security and don't want someone to be able to hack control via wireless or bluetooth. Direct cable seems like it should work.

*I'm not new to Arduino but have learned on my own, so do not know all the "ins and outs" yet..

This is the link for Xbox 360 controller to robot. http://www.instructables.com/id/Xbox-360-Wireless-Arduino/step5/Controlling-Robotic-Arms-Rovers/

Items: Tank style robot with 2 servos. Arduino Uno with Peasy Breakout Board to control 2 servos. PC with Windows. PC USB to Xbox 360 wireless control. PC USB to Kinect *I will upgrade to Kinect later.. and why I need a PC for my robot.

Thanks,

-Eddie

Direct cable seems like it should work.

Between a USB slave (the XBox controller) and a USB slave (the Arduino)? Not a chance.

Could go serial to serial Rx - Tx Tx - Rx gnd - gnd

Xb3e is generally 3.3V, are you using a 3.3v Promini or similar?

I guess I was not too clear in my wording.

I'm using Arduino Uno R3 Plus by OSEPP.

First, the USB PC controller is connected directly to the PC not the Arduino.

Next, use this PC to communicate to the Arduino (Direct cable USB PC to Micro USB) or serial to USB or other option?

Then, have the PC and Xbox 360 controller send control commands to the Arduino.

I'm not sure about the controller voltage but it will go through the PC and should not matter right?

Thanks guys!

-Eddie

emcgehee: Next, use this PC to communicate to the Arduino (Direct cable USB PC to Micro USB) or serial to USB or other option?

Then, have the PC and Xbox 360 controller send control commands to the Arduino.

I'm not sure about the controller voltage but it will go through the PC and should not matter right?

This is a pretty common arrangement for robots. It ends up being more a PC project than a microcontroller project.

You use the USB connection on the microcontroller to receive serial commands from the PC. I don't know much about the PC side of things but I've worked a lot on the microcontroller side.

Parallax used to have an "Eddie" robot which used Microsoft's Robot Operating System on the PC which sent serial commands to a Propeller microcontroller. There are some links to the Eddie system in this thread.

I think ROS has been abandoned by microsoft. MyRobotLab.org has some software for controlling robots with a PC though I think it's Linux based. I don't understand it myself. I know there are other alternatives but I don't recall the names. If I think of these other alternatives I'll add a link to this thread.

Thanks and this is exactly what I was looking for.. making sure that it is possible to use usb serial instead of wireless to communicate pc to arduino. I hope I can figure it out though.

I thought about attempting to use processing but I think I'll use Microsoft Visual Studio to make things simple and avoid the robotics program as well.

I'll try to see, if I can modify some existing code from Eddie.

emcgehee: I'll try to see, if I can modify some existing code from Eddie.

I doubt you'll be looking for it, but the latest Propeller firmware is not at the Parallax GitHub. It's located in my GitHub.

You do know that the maximum range of USB is 1.5m don't you? After that you need repeaters!

Mark

holmes4: You do know that the maximum range of USB is 1.5m don't you? After that you need repeaters!

I suppose Eddie will let us know, but I assumed the PC was mobile and part of the robot.

Yes, the laptop is part of the robot and will not need too long of a cable with the electronics section of my robot being decently close :).

You guys are awesome by the way…

I’ll let you guys know when I knock it out!

DuaneDegn: I think ROS has been abandoned by microsoft.

It is still downloadable from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29081 but it appears to be no longer supported in Win 8 or Win 10, so Win 7 only. NB. You will also have to have Visual Studio 2010 installed (I don't know if it will work with VS 2013 or VS 2016).