Help to choose ideal Relay for AC water pump

I need to control my AC water pump with a Arduino . It is a 1hp centrifugal regenerative pump . It's voltage and wattage ratings are as follows :
Voltage - 240v , 50hz
Wattage - 0.75kW (1.0 hp)
Can I use a normal 5v relay module (like this one :-https://www.amazon.in/REES52-Arduino-Indicator-Channel-Official/dp/B071J4Z714/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=5v+relay&qid=1584425888&sprefix=5v+re&sr=8-6 ) or should I go with some solid state relay.
Any suggestions will be very useful.
Also any amazon.in links will be very useful .
Thank in advance :slight_smile:

I'd use [u]this "industrial type"[/u] of solid state relay. They are easy to wire-up, easy to mount, and they are available in versions that can be directly driven by the Arduino.

Several manufacturers make them. [u]Here[/u] is some information about motors & solid state relays.

uthayamurthy:
I need to control my AC water pump with a Arduino . It is a 1hp centrifugal regenerative pump . It's voltage and wattage ratings are as follows :
Voltage - 240v , 50hz
Wattage - 0.75kW (1.0 hp)
Can I use a normal 5v relay module (like this one :-https://www.amazon.in/REES52-Arduino-Indicator-Channel-Official/dp/B071J4Z714/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=5v+relay&qid=1584425888&sprefix=5v+re&sr=8-6 ) or should I go with some solid state relay.
Any suggestions will be very useful.
Also any amazon.in links will be very useful .
Thank in advance :slight_smile:

Relay shown totally inadequate except maybe to drive a contactor such as shown below.

Thanks a lot for all replies.
After a bit of searching I found this . Will it be ok ?
And is a heatsink necessary for the solid state relay ?

uthayamurthy:
Thanks a lot for all replies.
After a bit of searching I found this . Will it be ok ?
And is a heatsink necessary for the solid state relay ?

Those already have heatsinks. They just need to be mounted to a metal panel to extend the heat sink capability. The back side you can't see is an aluminum plate.

The heat problems will depend on the length of time your pump is turned on.

Paul

The heat problems will depend on the length of time your pump is turned on.

Which leads us to the question, what exactly what is this pump doing? How many times a day does it turn on and off? I’m not a fan of solid state relays for theses types of applications because solid state relays fail shorted, leaving a pump to do what it does, pumping water somewhere. Yes there there applications where solid state switching is the way to go but I would be nervous running a pump that could flood something/somewhere with a cheap-o chinesium SSR. They are notoriously over-rated and have a pretty crappy track record. Resistive loads, okay, fine, but inductive motor loads. No, not the right solution.

I would at least consider a mechanical contacter driven by a pilot relay. Something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Packard-C230B-Pole-Contactor-Voltage/dp/B001KGSJ74/ref=sr_1_3

I totally disagree with "Whatsthat". I have had equipment with similar SSRs run for decades with not one failure.

Paul

I have had equipment with similar SSRs run for decades with not one failure.

Same here, but I would certainly avoid the cheap eBay SSRs. Some are outright fakes and quite dangerous.

The pump actually fills my over head tank . It will be turned on once in a day , running for about 45 min . At times it may even run 2 times but that will happen rarely .

Paul_KD7HB:
I totally disagree with "Whatsthat". I have had equipment with similar SSRs run for decades with not one failure.

Paul

I"ve had the same with contactors.

Can't say the same for ssr when either power or lightning surges come down the line.

This can be a regular occurance in some country areas and an outdoor installation as I assume the Op lives given the overhead tank application.