Help to power a single 3v motor

Hi there, I have been working my way through the projects in the arduino book and want to start doing some things more akin to what I want to use it for.

I want to power a single 3v motor but I am not sure about the way to go about this aside from using a similar resistor that the LEDs use.

If anyone could help me with the circuit design that would be great, for reference I am using the arduino uno start kit.

Cheers!

I want to power a single 3v motor but I am not sure about the way to go about this aside from using a similar resistor that the LEDs use.

You need to use a transistor - don't attach a motor directly to an output pin - even a vibra motor from a mobile phone could damage the pin.

Motors and any other inductive load need properly driving or damage can/will happen:

Note the diode across the motor to stop inductive spikes, and that the transistor must be up to the
maximum current through the motor, and the base resistor must be low enough (try 150 or 220 ohms).

So first you need to find the resistance of the motor winding, R, and calculate the stall current I = V/R,
and choose a transistor capable of that current.

In practice at such a low voltage a logic-level MOSFET may be a better choice.