Help! Unable to Discover Seeedstudio Bluetooth Shield

So currently I have been trying to use the Seeedstudio Bluetooth Shield with an endgoal to be able to upload code to an Arduino Pro Mini from a computer connected to the Bluetooth Shield.

When I connect the shield to the Pro Mini I have the 3v3 pin, ground, reset, RX, and TX pins all attached. I have also tried it by simply placing it into an Arduino Uno borrowed from a friend which obviously has all the pins connected as I sit it into the board as it was designed.

When it is connected to either of these boards it will come on and a green LED labeled D1 starts to flash. I've seen a video somewhere that says while it's not connected to anything it should have a red LED flashing as well but I've never seen this. And I've tried finding the bluetooth shield via windows and an Android phone. Neither setup can find it at all.

Help please?

I have found this code that says it should be able to make it findable, but it does not work for me. And I’ve tried varying the pins it says are Rx and Tx.

/* Upload this sketch into Seeeduino and press reset*/

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>   //Software Serial Port
#define RxD 6
#define TxD 7

#define DEBUG_ENABLED  1

SoftwareSerial blueToothSerial(RxD,TxD);

void setup() 
{ 
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(RxD, INPUT);
  pinMode(TxD, OUTPUT);
  setupBlueToothConnection();

} 

void loop() 
{ 
  char recvChar;
  while(1){
    if(blueToothSerial.available()){//check if there's any data sent from the remote bluetooth shield
      recvChar = blueToothSerial.read();
      Serial.print(recvChar);
    }
    if(Serial.available()){//check if there's any data sent from the local serial terminal, you can add the other applications here
      recvChar  = Serial.read();
      blueToothSerial.print(recvChar);
    }
  }
} 

void setupBlueToothConnection()
{
  blueToothSerial.begin(38400); //Set BluetoothBee BaudRate to default baud rate 38400
  blueToothSerial.print("\r\n+STWMOD=0\r\n"); //set the bluetooth work in slave mode
  blueToothSerial.print("\r\n+STNA=SeeedBTSlave\r\n"); //set the bluetooth name as "SeeedBTSlave"
  blueToothSerial.print("\r\n+STOAUT=1\r\n"); // Permit Paired device to connect me
  blueToothSerial.print("\r\n+STAUTO=0\r\n"); // Auto-connection should be forbidden here
  delay(2000); // This delay is required.
  blueToothSerial.print("\r\n+INQ=1\r\n"); //make the slave bluetooth inquirable 
  Serial.println("The slave bluetooth is inquirable!");
  delay(2000); // This delay is required.
  blueToothSerial.flush();
}

Can anybody possibly help me? I have no idea what to do here. And this is something I need to do to complete my capstone project which is due in 8 days from now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I get the distinct impression that you have left it pretty late to find out that you have made a bad choice of both project and equipment. The best thing you have done so far is borrow a Uno, and it might be a good idea to try to keep it.

You are not alone and there has been quite a swag of similar problems of late. One of the most comprehensive is here

in which reply #40, yes #40, seems the most pertinent, but you may find something useful there.

with an endgoal to be able to upload code to an Arduino Pro Mini

I don't know if it's possible to do that, it is certainly pointless, and it might actually be easier to do something more constructive.

This might not be helpful but, seriously, if you can find a way in the next six days to buy, beg, borrow, or steal and HC-05 bluetooth module, you will then have something that several million people know, love, and understand - and can talk sensibly to you about it. And quite a few of those people are on this forum.

Well I've now fixed it so that it is discoverable and I can connect to it, but I still need to be able to upload code to it somehow.

I get the distinct impression that you have left it pretty late to find out that you have made a bad choice of both project and equipment.

Well this is actually pretty true but it is not my fault really. Later on in this you actually suggested that we use the HC-05. I actually originally had requested my professor order that for us. However he has a staunch stance on the "I will not order parts from another country" and when we sent him the Bill of Materials on Feb 12th, he then responded saying we couldn't order that part. I couldn't find it on any other site that I could get it through so we ended up requesting this to be ordered believing it would be able to work as well. We then sent him that part to be ordered on Feb 13th but when all our parts came in on March 1st (super late btw) my part was not with them. After asking him about when it would be arriving he claimed he never got the email (though I know for a fact he did get it) and thus I didn't get this bluetooth part until last Wednesday. In which it didn't work and I just got it working yesterday.

I don't know if it's possible to do that, it is certainly pointless, and it might actually be easier to do something more constructive.

Was it specifically you didn't know if it was possible upload to the Pro Mini or is that in general uploading it to an Arduino? If not physically possible, I've been trying to contact my advisor of the project if there were other parts like an Xbee chip which I've found things essentially handing it out to you "just put it here, done" type programs.

DeathRoad:
However he has a staunch stance on the "I will not order parts from another country" and when we sent him the Bill of Materials on Feb 12th, he then responded saying we couldn't order that part.

I can't believe what I'm reading here. I don't dare ask what country you live in, and can only assume you and your professor live in the only country that makes everything - China. But you probably don't, since Chinese professors would surely be too smart to have that sort of attitude. Far be it for me to suggest you change countries for one that makes nothing, but changing your institute of higher learning looks like a rather good idea. Clearly, the one you are in at the moment employs for "professors" idiots with some twisted nationalistic agenda that actually suppresses your education.

On a lighter note, you only have to look at part of the recent plethora of posts about grief with the Seeed shield to conclude that paying $7 out of your own pocket for an HC-05 off eBay is (or was) probably a cheap and stress-free way of getting a result.

I'm afraid I don't know about uploading code to either Mini or Uno. There has been some discussion about it re the Uno, and its many difficulties, which I have ignored- as I can't see why one would ever need to do it. While a Pro Mini might bring its own problems to the table, uploading data should not be one of them, and it certainly isn't with the Uno.

More particularly, on re-reading your post (!), you can now make a connection, this is a triumph in itself, my apprehension about the shield and the Mini is unwarranted, and most of the above is just Pooh-sticks under the bridge. I suggest you prove the situation conclusively by uploading data, not code. You should have no problem doing the actual transfer with BlueTerm or the Bluetooth Graphics Terminal I use. The only issue may be how that data is usefully formatted, which seems to vary between Android apps. I'm afraid I don't know anything about that as I am just a humble bluetooth data-logger, and all my traffic goes the other way.

Good luck with your project. With professors like that, you certainly need it.

I'm afraid I don't know about uploading code to either Mini or Uno. There has been some discussion about it re the Uno, and its many difficulties, which I have ignored- as I can't see why one would ever need to do it. While a Pro Mini might bring its own problems to the table, uploading data should not be one of them, and it certainly isn't with the Uno.

Well thank you anyways. You responded regardless and that's more than anyone else has done. Also, in case you care the reason I want to upload code to a robot is because our Capstone is to make Swarm Robots. Thus we have a ton of robots and the uploading the code would thus be more efficient by software-wise connecting via bluetooth and sending the code to each one.

But I ended up buying the HC-05 and it will hopefully be here Tuesday and I'll have 3 days to follow this: Let's Make Robots - RobotShop Community and make it work.

DeathRoad:
because our Capstone is to make Swarm Robots. Thus we have a ton of robots and

Wow...

OK. Pairing implies two, and I'm not sure you would be able to pair with more than one bluetooth, i.e. broadcast, so I don't know how much of a disadvantage you have incurred there. The NRF24 can be in a network of 128(?) but I don't know about uploading code to them either. If you are intending to have a swarm communicate by bluetooth, I can only assume you have done the necessary research. There is a faint possiblity that the Seeed is more appropriate for this than the HC-05, and that is the answer you should have received from your professor - not some irrelevant babble about the country it comes from.

But I ended up buying the HC-05 and it will hopefully be here Tuesday and I'll have 3 days to follow this: Let's Make Robots - RobotShop Community and make it work.

Probably a very wise move. While I know nothing about robots, I would have thought the NRF24 was a better bet for comms in a swarm.

This very basic note might help with the HC-05, but I assume that, at this stage, you are more advanced than this.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/GUIDE_2BT.pdf
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/BT_2_WAY.ino

Good luck