Help! Unable to upload codes!

I always get this error.

Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum) avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I don't know why and how it is being caused. I haven't used Ardunio in several years, could it be my operating system? Please help me to get it working so I can try out the Pong. =(

I am using Windows 7 32 bit and (Board is the white rectangle with these writing on it.."Modern Device . com and BARE-BONES BOARD REV.02 FREEDUNIO"

EDIT: Now The green light went out and I tried to reset it and it blinked 3 times then shut off.

I do not think that I have had this particular error, but here are a few things to check:

is your software configured for the correct Arduino? is your software configured for the right com port? have you installed the Arduino driver for your computer?

How can you do the third option? I think I haven't...

This link shows you how to do it.

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Windows#toc4

I hope this works for you.

I have the same problem on windows XP SP3 with a new arduino uno: Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum) avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

serial ports (COM10), board (arduino uno), driver installed, all is OK. I have the last version of arduino software (arduino-0022); I read the "troubleshooting" and some forum posts and tried to do all that was wrote, but anything solved the problem. I need help!

The circuit connected to the Arduino can interfere with upload - if it's on a shield, try uploading with the shield disconnected and reconnect afterwards.

The tx and rx pins (digital 0 and 1) are used to upload. Some shields, such as the 4Display-Shield, have jumpers to temporarily disconnect these. Doing it manually should work too. :)

I’m using only the board arduino uno and usb cable conected (without shield);
The tx led flashes 3 times, after more 2 times and then: error message!
No other LED flashes during upload.

I tried to do like posted by Coding Badly on topic http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,62472.0.html (...remove the processor...Connect a jumper from pin 0 to pin 1...Type / send some data...) and the data was sent back on serial monitor. The arduino board is ok (I think that is ok, at least the usb adapter). Have I an ATmega with problem? I don't know what's wrong.

When you try to upload from the Arduino IDE, do you have "Arduino Uno" selected on the Tools / Board menu?

Which operating system are you using?

I'm using arduino-0022 with windows xp sp3 and the board selected correctly (arduino uno), COM port too.

The ATmega has 32k of memory and 0.5 k supposedly would be used by bootloader, how the error message shows 32256k (see below)? My bootloader was not burned!? It's possible? How can I check if it burned?

Binary sketch size: 1018 bytes ([u]of a 32256 byte maximum[/u]) avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I had issues with an UNO. The posting here may assist http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,60318.msg436416.html#msg436416

Mark

Hi. Just for information: I used another board and it worked perfectly. Some component failed in my old board, but I dont know what. If someone has the same problem... give up the repair and replace the board.

I'm getting that message, too. XP, using an ATmega328P-PU and the layout from Make as suggested by Dale Wheat.

Tried various things in Troubleshooting and as suggested here, with no success.

ch

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=62397.msg452824#msg452824 date=1306623291]

When you try to upload from the Arduino IDE, do you have "Arduino Uno" selected on the Tools / Board menu?

Which operating system are you using?

[/quote]

I has the same problem when i replace the ATMega 328 with one ATMega 328 speedy 2x from ADAFRUIT I solve the problem when i choose other board I choose LilyPad Arduino w/ATMega 328 and work fine now I dont know why happen this I am newby in electroniks Try somethink this Maybe help you

I also fail at upload with the same message:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Was hooking Arduino up to prototype burglar alarm board, which needs 12V which I got from the ext. power supply barrel connector, and 5V which I got from the 5V Arduino output. This board had worked before with no problems. Did I somehow screw the Arduino up? Have correct COM and board selected, am using Windows XP. Tried all the Troubleshooting suggestions, with no joy.
Help!

I should add that when I press the reset button, pin 13 does not light. Does this mean my Arduino is toasted somehow, or do I need to burn another bootloader? This board is less than 2 months old.

I has the same problem when i replace the ATMega 328 with one ATMega 328 speedy 2x from ADAFRUIT I solve the problem when i choose other board I choose LilyPad Arduino w/ATMega 328 and work fine now I dont know why happen this I am newby in electroniks Try somethink this Maybe help you

One thing you are selecting when you select a board type is the baudrate to use to upload a sketch. If you change the 328 chip in a Uno board with one that has an older bootloader then you must NOT select it as a Uno board as the baudrates won't be correct.

Lefty

Hi Ipsolutions,

I´m new to the Arduino family, but I think you should try the code with a new Atmega chip on your board. Perhaps your Atmega chip is broken. Good luck.......

Sprintex:
Hi Ipsolutions,

I´m new to the Arduino family, but I think you should try the code with a new Atmega chip on your board. Perhaps your Atmega chip is broken. Good luck…

No, before you spend any money (and waste time) on a part that may not be the problem, you should perform the serial loop back test to see if the board’s 8u2 USB serial convertor chip is functioning or not. A failure of serial communications for any reason will give you the error code you are seeing.

Steps:

1. unplug board from pc.
  2. Put a jumper wire from a ground pin to the reset pin.
  3. Put a jumper wire from digital pin 0 to digital pin 1.
  4. Open the arduino IDE and click on tools/serial port and write down the avalible ports.
  5. Close the arduino IDE
  6. Plug in the arduino to the PC, it should sound the new USB connection, if not you have a PC arduino driver problem.
  7. Open the arduino IDE and click on tools/serial port and you should see a new port number that wasn’t shown in step 4. If you don’t have a new port number avalible you have a PC arduino driver problem.
  8. Select the ‘new’ comm port number.
  9. Click on the serial monitor button.
  10. Anything you type in the serial monitor’s send window and then send should echo back into the monitor’s receive window.

If that works then you have no serial communications problems, only then might you want to try a new replacement 328 chip. Be sure you know what bootloader is installed in the replacement chip you purchase as that determines what board selection you have to use.

If the serial test does not work then there is mostly likely a problem on your arduino board other then the 328 chip and you will not cure it by replacing the 328 chip.

Lefty

Did as you suggested, and device does echo monitor input. So apparently is a microprocessor problem, and I will need to replace the 328 chip? Thanks for the suggestions, at any rate.