Help with a timer

I am new to arduino and would like some help to build as timer to turn on and off a relay.
I want to be able to set the time in 5 minute intervals to 30 minutes in total and have a led light up for each interval. I want to use a reed switch or hall effect switch to set the interval with a magnet and a latching reed or hall effect switch to start a motor via a relay.
I am only just starting with arduino so this is over my head at the moment. Would anyone like to help me with code and schematic.
I wish I could do this myself however I would like to use the timer soon and I don't think I will be able to figure it out that quickly.

This is also sounding like a school project. What is it that you are trying to do with this ?

I am not sure how the timer is connected to the motor though. This sounds like two tasks.

Cheers Pete.

I want to use a reed switch or hall effect switch to set the interval with a magnet and a latching reed or hall effect switch to start a motor via a relay.

Some particular reason to get so fancy? Sounds like you want to make a "magic" wand with a magnet in it, and wave it at the Arduino to make stuff happen.

PaulS:
Some particular reason to get so fancy? Sounds like you want to make a "magic" wand with a magnet in it, and wave it at the Arduino to make stuff happen.

Ha Ha Paul .. sounds like you may have built one of these already then :slight_smile:

Sounds like a plot from "Home Alone"
I have visions of a motor with paddles attached lurking behind the Street Door. Anyone that enters gets the thousand fist punch. :slight_smile: