help with arduno uno R3 ID:1.7.9 & Sainsmart 2004A 4 x 20 lcd

Guys, believe me before I posted I have spent 12+ hours trying to resolve the programming errors myself. I did C++ a long time ago but I cannot fix it. I also deleted the IDE as it seemed it was too recent for the code I was trying to run etc. I do not see much point in me over describing all the things I tried that didn't work but so far :

I tried about 5 flavours of the ide

I tried about 12 copies of the LiquidCrystal_I2C.h library.

Here is my problem I read somwwhere about using pullup resistors on the SClk & Sdat lines but not sure if I need that with the sainmsart shied and uno R3.

I will be delirious if someone can help me get this working

Arduino: 1.7.9 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Build options changed, rebuilding all

Using library Wire in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire

Using library LiquidCrystal_I2C in folder: C:\Users\Twebor\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C (legacy)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -MMD -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10709 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\variants\standard -IC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire -IC:\Users\Twebor\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C C:\Users\Twebor\AppData\Local\Temp\build1711227586585976456.tmp\HelloWorld.cpp -o C:\Users\Twebor\AppData\Local\Temp\build1711227586585976456.tmp\HelloWorld.cpp.o

In file included from HelloWorld.pde:3:0:

C:\Users\Twebor\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h:81:16: error: conflicting return type specified for 'virtual void LiquidCrystal_I2C::write(uint8_t)'

virtual void write(uint8_t);

^

In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Stream.h:26:0,

from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries\Wire/Wire.h:26,

from HelloWorld.pde:2:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino/Print.h:48:20: error: overriding 'virtual size_t Print::write(uint8_t)'

virtual size_t write(uint8_t) = 0;

^

Error compiling.

They have code. Did you try it?

Hi thanks,
I thought I had but I did not use the links I found at the bottom of your reply,
so cheers will try it ,
Trev.

Are you really using Arduino V1.7.9, or is that a typo?

If it is 1.7.9, it's from Arduino.org and not Arduino.cc, so I'd recommend uninstalling and downloading V1.6.9 from Arduino.cc:- https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software