Help with attiny 85

When things work the first time it's cool, but I seem to learn more when stuff doesn't go as smoothly.

I just chalk it in the "skill building" column :) Sometimes the journey is better than the destination 8)

And yes, I have it wired up the same way you do and you were right. It was a fun and rewarding project! Maybe useful in the future too...

I just wanted to add that the official Arduino protoshield has REALLY flimsy pins but it was available at RS. I have an official motor shield and the pins on it are a lot thicker and overall quality just seems better.

UPDATE: It's working! Skip to bottom of this post to avoid a lot of reading if you prefer.

I've started over from the beginning try to use my Arduino Uno R3 and IDE version 1.0.1 to program an ATtiny85 after several failed attempts. Like hoff70, I started off using the Matt Richardson video he linked to in the first post of this thread. Here's where I'm currently at:

1) Without the ATtiny85 or any other circuit connected to the Uno, I upload the ArduinoISP sketch from File > Examples > ArduinoISP to the Uno.

2) After quitting the IDE, I downloaded the "ATtiny cores" file from http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/ and unzipped the contents into my hardware folder at ~/Documents/Arduino/sketchbooks/hardware/tiny, and now the instructions in ~/Documents/Arduino/sketchbooks/hardware/tiny/readme.txt say:

• Open the "boards.txt" file and change both of the "upload.using" entries to the appropriate value for your setup. Following from the examples above, the file would be here...

C:\Projects\Arduino\hardware\tiny\boards.txt

^^^ I looked at all lines that contained "upload.using" and didn't see any that I needed to change. This may be where I'm failing. Here are all of the non-comment lines in my "boards.txt" file that have "upload.using":

attiny84at16.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny84at8.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny84at1.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny85at16e.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny85at16p.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny85at8.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny85at1.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny45at8.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny45at1.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny85at128.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny25at8.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny25at1.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny4313at8.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny4313at1.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny2313at8.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp attiny2313at1.upload.using=arduino:arduinoisp

So with the boards.txt file unchanged, I launch the IDE and open File > Examples > Basics > Blink.

If I select Tools > Board > ATtiny85 @ 1 MHz (internal oscillator; BOD disabled) I can compile and upload Blink, the following message is in the lower window of the IDE:

Binary sketch size: 756 bytes (of a 8,192 byte maximum) avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

^^^ maybe that means it was successful?

Selecting Tools > Board > ATtiny85 (w/ Arduino as ISP). The upload of Blink fails during compile with:

Blink.cpp:10:21: error: Arduino.h: No such file or directory Blink.cpp: In function 'void setup()': Blink:14: error: 'OUTPUT' was not declared in this scope Blink:14: error: 'pinMode' was not declared in this scope Blink.cpp: In function 'void loop()': Blink:19: error: 'HIGH' was not declared in this scope Blink:19: error: 'digitalWrite' was not declared in this scope Blink:20: error: 'delay' was not declared in this scope Blink:21: error: 'LOW' was not declared in this scope

I hooked up an LED, it did not light. Any advice on how to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jake

UPDATE: I selected Tools > Programmer > Arduino as ISP and was able to upload Blink with the following messages:

Binary sketch size: 756 bytes (of a 8,192 byte maximum) avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file for part ATtiny85 avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file for part ATtiny85

It's now blinking the LED! I'll leave all of the above there for the next person to come along. :)

The correct combinations was:

Upload the ArduinoISP sketch then: Tools > Board > ATtiny85 @ 1 MHz (internal oscillator; BOD disabled) Tools > Programmer > Arduino as ISP