Help with "Building an Arduino on a Breadboard"

Platform: Macintosh MacBook Pro/Snow Leopard

Error msg: avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 9 2007 at 11:20:31 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean,

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf" User configuration file is "/Users/cem/.avrduderc" User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/tty.usbserial-A4001mRk Using Programmer : stk500v1 Overriding Baud Rate : 57600 avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I attempted the troubleshooting list without success. The chip blinks

double checked breadboard; I am using Atmega328P-PU with Arduino Bootloader and Arduino MiniUSB.

I also have Arduino Mega which works without problems, so don't think it is a computer side issue.

Are you resetting the chip? the reset pin must have a pullup, when uploading you have to clik reset button (on use a piece of cable from gnd to pin reset) until you see “Binary schetc size: blablabla” on arduino IDE :wink:

for me also worket remove al the cable and do again the links, the error was really well hidden ;D

its going to be hard to give you any real advice without seeing a schematic of what you have done, sure we could guess all day long, but its just more work for everyone involved

I used the schematics from Arduino's very own webpage http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone.

I've double checked and feel that I've followed directions correctly.

Thank you.

mk, the tutorial assumes the power rails on your breadboard are connected for the entire length of the breadboard, when in fact some are split in the middle, giving your 4 different power buses

which one is yours?

do a continuity test from one end of a power rail to the other

Thank you. I had jumped the rails to be continuous already.

Confirmed 5V supply from MiniUSB.
Used a DMM to confirm capacitors and resistors good.
ATmega328 (with Arduino boodloader) winks when power is supplied.

I am simply trying to re-upload the wink program to confirm that I can upload any program but it fails.

Thank you again. If all else fails, I will just play with my new Arduino mega. I just wanted to be able to do this exercise.

again reset pin to GND, then clic to upload, wait 2 or 3 seconds (on arduino IDE terminal some words appear)then set reset to 5Vcc. This procedure is for chip >= atmega368

What sort of capacitor have you got on the reset part of the curcuit. Is it the correct way round? Are you connecting to the dtr line from the usb adaptor. I had one serial adaptor that didnt bring the dtr line out. So had to use the reste switch manualy.

Is the usb to serial adaptor ttl or rs232. It should be ttl. Its worth trying the manual reset as IESTO said to narrow down the search. Also can you post a pic of the breadboard as you have it set up. Its easy to miss something obvious when you have been staring at it for hours.

Gordon

Solution found on forum elsewhere:

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1278247664/

TX to TX AND RX to RX

Not RX to TX and TX to RX

Thank you for everyones help.