Help with collecting audio

Hey guys,
This is my first project and I am trying to figure out how to get a microphone to pickup sound for a set amount of time then export it to my computer. (Eventually I will have a python program call out this Arduino program)

The kicker is that I must use this microphone Knowles KAS-700-0149.

I have access to an Arduino Uno and a Mega 2560.

From what I have read, I need to send a clock signal to the microphone via Pin 4 on the Mic. How can I achieve this?

Thank in advance

Your first Arduino lesson is about the difference between the analog and digital world. Arduinos are fine in handling digital devices, like switches, lamps and motors, but can not handle audio or video at all - too small RAM.

For the linked micro you need some line receiver, see the link to the evaluation board, an audio card that can take samples at a reasonable rate, and a fast transmission module to the PC, e.g. Bluetooth. With enough RAM it may be possible to record a short snippet and store it on a SD card.

Jfrey:
Hey guys,
This is my first project and I am trying to figure out how to get a microphone to pickup sound for a set amount of time then export it to my computer. (Eventually I will have a python program call out this Arduino program)

I have access to an Arduino Uno and a Mega 2560.

From what I have read, I need to send a clock signal to the microphone via Pin 4 on the Mic. How can I achieve this?

Thank in advance

Then can we assume you also have the "For use with Knowles “Muskie” Microphone Evaluation Kit.
Part# KAS-33100-0004"

And you are trying to interface this to the Arduino?

IF not, Do you have the proper connector for the flexible circuit board?

Paul

(Eventually I will have a python program call out this Arduino program)

If you're going to use a computer, why not use the computer and soundcard? Or a cell phone, or a solid state recorder?

Why?

...I think you're "nuts" to build your own soundcard or audio recorder. Of course, that's just my opinion and you can do whatever you want, but it's the opinion of someone who's been "playing around" with audio & electronics since the analog days.

It's probably going to be more expensive that buying something that's mass-produced and if you need good audio quality it will be expensive and difficult.

Paul_KD7HB:
Then can we assume you also have the "For use with Knowles “Muskie” Microphone Evaluation Kit.
Part# KAS-33100-0004"

And you are trying to interface this to the Arduino?

IF not, Do you have the proper connector for the flexible circuit board?

Paul

I did not know that existed! This will help me out a lot.

The reason i'm using this microphone is that I will be testing out multiple MEMS mics mounted on flex.

I currently just have a pigtail coming off the flex board to connect it to the Arduino.