Help with finding the right shield(s)

Trying to run 3 different motors, all with an idle program that moves then at a specific rate, then use physical analog inputs (pots and a few switches) to manually override position/motor rate. The three motors are an average servo, a nema 17 from openbuilds, and a high torque dc motor. The nema and dc I am planning on using an external pwr supply. I believe i can directly wire the arvo to the arduino.

Not sure what shield might work or if I need a few to use the stepper and dc. Also going to add a digital input (limit stitch) to calibrate at initial boot.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Max peak amp is 2-3amps

Before tossing around terms like NEMA 17, it might be useful to know just what that means. That is a standard that defines the mounting hole locations. Just how is that information important when determining how to drive it? What color is it? That is equally (un)important.

The best device to use to drive a stepper motor is (hold onto your hat) a stepper motor driver.

The servo can be connected to the Arduino for control, NOT for power.

The stepper driver can be connected to the Arduino for control (step and direction), NOT for power.

The high torque DC motor needs a motor driver shield if you want to control its speed.

Not sure if you're trying to be humorous or sarcastic, but let me give you a better idea of what I'm working with. I'm no novice, but I've hit a speed bump. Hence asking the forum.

Arduino uno. External power supply that is compatible with things. Not important, but 12v dc at peak ~6 amps.

I supplied the nema 17's mfg which they have a spec sheet. Not sure how to upload one otherwise. The high torque motor is dc, and only need to control the voltage.

Pots are to be used.

The servo is a futaba. I don't have specs inferring of me. But basically- I have done lots of arduino work before but nothing involving all three of these motor types in one project. Is there a single shield that would stack on the arduino like the genetic motor shield, that can dork with what I'm attempting- out does everything need it's own shield/ driver/hbridge?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1438 This can drive all three types of motors. it uses the Toshiba TB6612FNG chip which can handle up to 15V with 1.2 Amps average current (2A pulses up to 20ms each up to 20% duty cycle, 3.2A single pulse up to 10 ms).

@Somedexterity: I think you didn't understand, what @PaulS wanted to say:

NEMA17 is nothing than the standard of the mounting holes locations.

There are NEMA17 steppers which range between less than 100Ncm and up to close 1000Ncm - all using the same mounting distance of the holes, but very different in their length and electrical characteristics.

So @PaulS was not kidding at all.

If you are interested, here you can raed a bit more about the definition of NEMA

rpt007: @Somedexterity: I think you didn't understand, what @PaulS wanted to say:

NEMA17 is nothing than the standard of the mounting holes locations.

There are NEMA17 steppers which range between less than 100Ncm and up to close 1000Ncm - all using the same mounting distance of the holes, but very different in their length and electrical characteristics.

So @PaulS was not kidding at all.

If you are interested, here you can raed a bit more about the definition of NEMA

I did understand- but it was trivial- being that I provided information for that particular nema17. Thank you.

johnwasser: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1438 This can drive all three types of motors. it uses the Toshiba TB6612FNG chip which can handle up to 15V with 1.2 Amps average current (2A pulses up to 20ms each up to 20% duty cycle, 3.2A single pulse up to 10 ms).

Thank you I had my eye on this and wanted clarity, asked on amazon- and was forwarded here. Good to know my assumptions were correct. ....Thought I just watched the video and heard this: "...each adafruit motor shield has 2 control ports. each port can control 2 dc brushed motors or a single unipolar or bipolar stepper...there's also spots for 2 servo motors..." so would I need several of these ? I'm unclear on that still, there's an image showing many connected at once. Thanks !

Somedexterity: "...each adafruit motor shield has 2 control ports. each port can control 2 dc brushed motors or a single unipolar or bipolar stepper...there's also spots for 2 servo motors..." so would I need several of these ?

No. "Each Adafruit motor shield has 2 control ports. Each port can control 2 DC brushed motors or a single unipolar or bipolar stepper." so you can put your one stepper motor on one of the two control ports and put your one DC brushed motor on half of the other control port. "There's also spots for 2 servo motors." so your one servo motor can connect to one of the two spots for servo motors.