help with first upload (Diecimila)?

I just got my first Arduino (Diecimila) yay! but it's not working right off. I wonder if someone can help.

When I connect the board to USB I get the green power LED and an LED that blinks quickly and erratically at pin 13. The computer is an Intel Mac OS X 10.4.11. I installed the Intel drivers and restarted my Mac. When I hit the reset button, the LED blinks once, turns off for a second, then begins the fast blinking again.

I ran the Arduino application and opened the Blink example. When I hit "upload" I get:

Binary sketch size: 1108 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum)

java.lang.NullPointerException at processing.app.Serial.setDTR(Serial.java:480) at processing.app.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:76) at processing.app.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:69) at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1699) at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1761) at processing.app.Editor$42.run(Editor.java:1955) at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

The I tried to "Burn Diecimila Bootloader" under the Tools menu and got:

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

Can someone help with this?

I am not a Mac user, but did you install the FTDI USB drivers?

Read this first: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/MacOSX

Did you set the serial device in Tools menu?

You don't need to burn the bootloader. It is already there.

Yes, I did install the FTDIUSB Intel drivers that I downloaded with the Arduino distribution. Version v2_2_6. And my understanding from the Mac documentation is that I don't need to set the Serial device because I am using USB. From the documentation, it looks like all I should have to do is hit Upload...

The USB connection appears to the computer and Arduino software as a virtual serial port. You need to pick the appropriate entry from the Tools > Serial Port menu before uploading.

That worked, problem solved! Thanks!!