help with hyperteminal arduino and xbee.

hello I am newbie to arduino. I need some help with my project.

materials I have:
-2 arduino UNO
-2 xbee shield v5 (国丰彩票网址-官网)
-2 xbee
-laptop

When I type ‘w’ to my keyboard using hyperterminal or putty, my arduino(connected thru usb) will read it and then send ‘w’ byte to my another arduino wirelessly thru XBEE.is this possible?

i read some articles and they said i need a FTDI breakout board. but i don’t have it :frowning: is it possible that my arduino will act as an FTDI breakout board or a usb to serial port using my materials available? thank you!

here is the diagram of what i want to happen

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

When I type ‘w’ to my keyboard using hyperterminal or putty, my arduino(connected thru usb) will read it and then send ‘w’ byte to my another arduino wirelessly thru XBEE.is this possible?

Yes, it is possible, with the right XBees configured properly.

Which XBees do you have?

i read some articles and they said i need a FTDI breakout board. but i don’t have it

You don’t need it. You do need a USB Explorer, though. It makes configuring the XBees so much simpler.

It can also be used in place of the Arduino and shield connected to the PC. That Arduino is doing nothing useful.

Yes, it is possible, with the right XBees configured properly.

Which XBees do you have?

You don't need it. You do need a USB Explorer, though. It makes configuring the XBees so much simpler.

It can also be used in place of the Arduino and shield connected to the PC. That Arduino is doing nothing useful.

-but i dont have the usb explorer :frowning: can i make my available materials to function like the usb explorer? thanks!

i have

OK. That's a series 1 model. That's good. Easy to configure. All you need to set is PAN ID, MY, and DL. Set PAN ID the same on both XBees. Set MY to some value on the first XBee (other than 0) and set DL to some value on the first XBee (other than 0). On the other XBee, use the same values, but swapped. For instance MY = 38 and DL = 178 on one, with MY = 178 and DL = 38 on the other. The actual values do not matter, so if 1 and 2 make more sense to you, use them.

but i dont have the usb explorer smiley-sad can i make my available materials to function like the usb explorer?

You have to remove the ATMega chip from the Arduino. Then, the brainless Arduino with shield performs the same function. Be sure to put the ATMega chip back, correctly, before actually trying the use the Arduino.

You have to remove the ATMega chip from the Arduino. Then, the brainless Arduino with shield performs the same function. Be sure to put the ATMega chip back, correctly, before actually trying the use the Arduino.

thanks for the suggestion. i will try it in a while! umm how about shorting the reset and the ground pin? will it work? thank you

umm how about shorting the reset and the ground pin?

You don’t need to do that unless you brick your XBee. So, don’t brick it.

thank you for the suggestion! i will post the result as soon as possible :slight_smile:

i came across with this website, but its not working for me Antipasto Hardware Blog: XBee Shield to XBee Shield Communication

i came across with this website, but its not working for me

The web site works for me.

You have a specific problem?

it can't detect my xbee :frowning:

it can't detect my xbee

What can't?

Did you remove the ATMega chip from the Arduino?

it can't detect my xbee, i downloaded XCTU.

nope i didn't remove the chip, i just shorted out reset and ground pin, as seen on the website :frowning:

nope i didn't remove the chip

Well, OK. Good luck, then.

I have no choice but to buy the usb explorer and it all worked out! thank you for the help and suggestions! :slight_smile: