Help with Joystick-like Project

I'm in the process of building Amstudio's e-brake (HANDBRAKES – AMSTUDIO) however in my haste, I purchased a nano instead of a micro. From what I gather, the nano doesn't have a USB MCU that would work for this purpose?

I'm trying to avoid buying a knock off/cheap board however the micro that I see has VIN instead of VCC. Will this work with a slide potentiometer?

Thanks!

Nano will not work for your project.

Give a link to the Pro Micro that you have seen and we can comment on suitability.

PaulRB:
Nano will not work for your project.

Give a link to the Pro Micro that you have seen and we can comment on suitability.

https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-micro-without-headers

or

EDIT: Also found this OPEN-SMART Atmega32U4 Development Board Pro Micro for Arduino - Free shipping - DealExtreme

Any of those 3 should be suitable, but I still don't understand your concern over VIN & VCC pins. If you are still concerned about that, you need to explain further and give links to examples of the differences you have seen.

PS. thanks and +1 karma for posting clickable links, rather than simply pasting in the addresses you found and forcing me to select, copy & paste them, which is a pain on a phone's touchscreen.

PaulRB:
Any of those 3 should be suitable, but I still don’t understand your concern over VIN & VCC pins. If you are still concerned about that, you need to explain further and give links to examples of the differences you have seen.

PS. thanks and +1 karma for posting clickable links, rather than simply pasting in the addresses you found and forcing me to select, copy & paste them, which is a pain on a phone’s touchscreen.

Ha, glad to help.

If it’s not obvious, I’m really new to all of this so the diagram I’m following has the pot connected to VCC but most boards I see have VIN on the micro. I think they both control voltage in a similar manner, but again this is foreign.

Appreciate you helping me out :slight_smile:

Pro Micro boards come in 2 models: 16MHz@5V and 8MHz@3.3V. Unless you are wanting to use battery power, stick to the 5V type.

All boards will have a VCC pin but on some it might be labelled 5V.
All boards will have a VIN pin but on some it might be labelled RAW.

You should connect your pot to VCC/5V. Never to VIN/RAW.

All boards have a voltage regulator built in so that they can be powered from a voltage of between around 6V and 12V. But using higher voltages causes more wasted power and heat. All boards can be powered by a 5V through the 5V pin or the USB, and this is what I expect you will be doing.