Help with laser tag system

Hi everyone,

My name is David, and i'm a new user into the arduino forum.

I'm working in an idea. I want to make a laser tag system to play.

I have a problem with the laser detection. I have read a lot of information about similar systems but i can't find the right info.

At first, i wanted to use a IR system, but the range was very close. I need a system that will work with more than 100 metres of distance.

So, my second option was to use a laser, but i don't know how to know who is the player who is shooting the target.

I don't know if i'm explaining well, but... this is my problem.

Anybody can help me?

Thanks a lot!

Warning:

That much laser could conceivably get in the eyes of nearby people. Furthermore, if you accidentally shined it at a plane in flight, Lord help you. I had a friend who was playing "laser tag" with a cat in the back yard, when a landing plane passed over. Moments later, the police were at his house, and he had some serious explaining to do.

Laser tag uses IR. They claim they have over 100' range (I'm not so sure about 100m though). There's some information in the "Hacking" forum about hacking off the shelf laser tag devices to use with the Arduino.

I'll try to find the thread and add a link here.

jrdoner:
I had a friend who was playing "laser tag" with a cat in the back yard, when a landing plane passed over. Moments later, the police were at his house, and he had some serious explaining to do.

Hmmm. Was that not actually a "friend of a friend"?

DuaneDegn:
Laser tag uses IR. They claim they have over 100' range (I'm not so sure about 100m though). There's some information in the "Hacking" forum about hacking off the shelf laser tag devices to use with the Arduino.

I'll try to find the thread and add a link here.

Ok, thanks

Hi David,

what you want can be done. I use a TSAL6100 IR led in series with a 2 Ohm resistor. The led is placed in the focal point of a 50 mm lens. Receivers are from the TSOP series of Vishay, select one that matches your desired frequency - and price. The cheaper ones will do.

The 2 Ohm resistor gets me a range of about 90 meters in sunlight. At night this translates to 340 meters.

Cheers,

Jack

CaptainJack:
Hi David,

what you want can be done. I use a TSAL6100 IR led in series with a 2 Ohm resistor. The led is placed in the focal point of a 50 mm lens. Receivers are from the TSOP series of Vishay, select one that matches your desired frequency - and price. The cheaper ones will do.

The 2 Ohm resistor gets me a range of about 90 meters in sunlight. At night this translates to 340 meters.

Cheers,

Jack

Thanks!