Help with making sound player with Arduino Uno and VS1003

Hi I'm a beginner to using Arduino and I'm trying to build a sound player using an Arduino Uno for a class project. I've got a data logging shield holding an SD card on the Uno, and I've attached a VS1003 MP3 recording module which the guy in the shop told me would play MP3 files as well.

I tried some example code from here, setting up the pins as specified and modifying the file number on the SD card, but nothing happened. I can't seem to find any other tutorials for this board through doing a Google search, so I'd really appreciate it if someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Can you post:-
A link to the VS1003 module you have.
A schematic of how you wired it all up. That web page looks crap for the hardware schematic so I do not hold up much hope for the software.

In your code, did you change the line
int sspin = 53; ?

The person who wrote that code probably wrote it for the Mega, so you'll have to carefully go through the code to make changes so that it can run on your Uno.

Have you connected the SPI pins correctly? The MOSI, MISO, and SCK of the Arduino must be connected to the respectively named pins on BOTH the SD card shield and the VS1003 (but CS pins are different!). Check that the SD shield's MISO, MOSI, CLK, and CS pins are the same ones given in the code.

I suggest you do a little bit of research on SPI communication; it'll help tremendously.

Also, here's a quick tip: Add serial.println in your code, which wil help you how the code is running and where the problem might lie.

Good luck!