Help with Motor and Relay

Hi all,

As part of my school project I am using a 240V AC motor. I need to connect this motor for simple on and off functions. I was told to use this relay:
http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=181

So my problem is this. Should I use the terminals 'COM' and 'NO' in order to make the motor turn on and off? And secondly, does it make any difference if I strip the 'live' wire or 'neutral' wire of the motor and then connect them to the relay?

Thanks.

Should I use the terminals 'COM' and 'NO' in order to make the motor turn on and off?

Yes.

does it make any difference if I strip the 'live' wire or 'neutral' wire of the motor and then connect them to the relay?

No, as regard functionality.
From a safety point of view breaking the live means there is no live connection to the motor when the relay powers it off.

As part of my school project I am using a 240V AC motor.

I am very surprised your school will let you do this. Playing with mains when you don't know what you are doing is very dangerous. Your questions show that you don't know what you are doing.

Totally agree with you. But that is what they wanted me to do as a final year project so I had to stick to that.

I know playing with mains is dangerous. The main reason I asked whether stripping any of the two wires would still function is so that if possible I would stick with stripping the neutral instead of the live wire which is much safer.

Thanks for your reply.

If its 240v ac both your wires are going to be hot.

If its 240v ac both your wires are going to be hot.

That depends on what country he is in. If he's in Europe or China or (much of) the Middle East he is on a 220V 3 phase Wye connected distribution system with 220V from Line to Neutral and 220 * Sqrt 3 = 380V Line to Line. I never thought about this much until I lived in USA and then several of these countries.

nevizamm Where are U??