Help with my game project

Hi everyone,

I’m doing a game like the one in the attached picture. The goal of the game is to get to the other side without touching the metal tube with the ring. So I have two questions:

1.- what kind of material go you recommend to use for the tube, I have tried with copper but it sulfates with the time. I want to try with stainless steel or aluminum, but I don’t know if it conducts electricity well enough considering that I want to connect it to an Arduino in a 5V circuit.

2.- I want to put some sensors inside the tube for knowing where the player is, for example in the stars (in the image). The idea is that when the ring pass over the sensors its sense that. What kind of sensors do you recommend? The sensors are going to be inside of the tube so I can’t use infrared LEDs. I was reading something about capacitive and inductive proximity sensors and I don’t know if it serves for this project. Maybe I could use some RFID.

Thanks in advance.
Luis.

Stainless if you can afford it would likely last hundreds of years..

Instead of your “wand” just having a touch component, maybe you can also incorporate few loops of wire around the ring and generate a small magnetic coil that you can pulse and have hall sensors inside the tube at different positions that can pickup the field..

Slumpert: Instead of your “wand” just having a touch component, maybe you can also incorporate few loops of wire around the ring and generate a small magnetic coil that you can pulse and have hall sensors inside the tube at different positions that can pickup the field..

Or use hall-effect sensors and a magnet on the wand. Note that you would want your tube to be non-magnetic (copper, and some forms of Stainless Steel). You could put a thin gold plating on copper tubing to prevent corrosion.

Thanks for your answers, that's a good idea. I was checking in internet and I could use cheap sensors like 49E or A3144. I also saw in Aliexpress some Arduino modules and I don't know what is the advantage of using it over the sensors:

Module 1

Module 2

My other concern is that the cooper tubes could act like a giant resistor, and in my circuit i'm trying to emulate a pull up resistor switch (or pull down), but the tube is so big that when the ring touches it it wont work I think. Can you help me with that?

Here is the diagram of what I mean: Diagram

What is the diameter of the tube? How long?

If it is curved like the drawings, do you have the equipment to bend it without collapsing the tube?

What is the ring made out of? Must be some metal.

If you want to sense with a magnet, then the tube must be non-ferrous metal. And the ring must be ferrous metal.

That pretty well points to aluminum for the tube. Easiest to find and bend is aluminum EMT, electrical metal tube, AKA conduit.

Paul

I think it's gonna be 1" diameter, and I'm thinking to split the tube in different parts, so I can connect every part separatelly to a pin in my Arduino (more different options for the game). So each part is gonna be 50cm long aprox.

I have a mini bending machine. A couple of years ago I did an analog version of this game (without electronics), this is one image: Image

This time I'm thinking to use cupper for the tube, and stainless steel for the ring. As johnwasser sugested I will put a neodymium magnet in some part of the ring (I have to test it off course)

This is the new diagram: New diagram