help with RF links from spark fun

Hi, i've been going crazy trying to get the rflinks from sparkfun to work SKU#: WRL-00872, i've tried serial like in the example on their site, and it sort of works i've also tired software serial, does anyone know of a good tutorial to get these to work, all i want to do transfer data between two arduinos but it doesn't seem to want to work for me, i'm sort of new at this so that is probably why, all i want to do is be able to execute a function on one board when i push a button on the other, all it needs to do is send a number, have the other arduino see this number and execute the function associated with that number, i read about setting up packets to send but that still doesn't make sense to me. i guess the rf reciever just picks up all the interference in the room, and gets confused. i've tried modifying the softwareserial tutorial on the arduino site to send data as well, still doesn't work. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, i've been going crazy trying to get the rflinks from sparkfun to work SKU#: WRL-00872,

I haven't played with these yet, but a couple of things to consider. They have no error control, so when you send a bit, you have no way to be sure it was received. Also, the transmitter goes into power saver mode and takes a few miliseconds to warm up.

There's all sorts of complex coding schemes to create a reliable link in software, but at the very least, you should have a long enough "start" pattern of bits to make sure the transmitter has time to send and the receiver knows which bits to grab.