Help with School project!

I'm working on a school project. Typically I don't like to do things like this unless I will actually have a use for them. In this case the use is that it will be my final project while being perfect for my personal needs.

So, what I am trying to achieve is a matrix/grid system that will light up the box that my electrical parts are in on my work bench. kinda like in the video below. I really enjoyed how he managed this! and it would be close to how I would like to do mine, although I feel that the master slave arduinos really arent necessary! could I not just do it with one arduino uno? The point is that this is a little out of my reach in terms of know how.. But Ill never learn unless I do something like this so why not try!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSGmdM2NbQk

No idea why he has "slave arduinos" when a simple Serial->Parallel IC would suffice.

You need some cheap shift registers. They can be daisy chained so you can have as many LEDs as you need.

Daisy Chain Shift Registers

A the outputs should be easily enough to power LEDs.

As far as code, each box is numbered 0-100 (for example):

I want box 12:

Send 11 0s and then on the 12th clk pulse send a high signal. This will light LED 12.

So scrap his idea of using the binary decoders into the ide cables and then wiring them kinda like a x and y axis? and go with a daisy chain of registers? and then how would you run the cable to the lights on the box without 100 different cables?

johnnyboy5566: and then how would you run the cable to the lights on the box without 100 different cables?

And now you know why he was using the slaves.

I just feel that he is overdoing it! especially since I really only need to do one box! I just feel there has to be an easier method perhaps a like LED-matrix controller or something along those lines, I don't know if that exists.

johnnyboy5566: like LED-matrix controller or something along those lines, I don't know if that exists.

He built one out of an Arduino. That's what those slave modules are doing. It's probably cheaper than buying dedicated chips to do it. It's hard to beat the prices on some of the clone Arduinos these days. I end up using them for all sorts of stuff where they are technically overkill just because they are cheap as dirt.

haha yes, I understand! just trying to cut down on some confusing parts because I think im already over my head in difficulty. Its for a computer science class. So the electrical parts confuse me. That and trying to piece together everything I need to do so I can make the parts list.

Interesting video. I wonder if that guy is locked in the room. That would explain a lot.