Help with selecting which Arduino to buy to help send water quality remotely

Hello,

I am working on a project where I am trying to hook up 4 probes (EC, DO, pH, and temperature) to an arduino to help my hydroponic garden which is located in my neighboring greenhouse. Now I want these results to be able to be sent directly to my phone/ computer, for remote monitoring. While I have wifi in my house, I noticed that my wifi signal is super weak in my greenhouse. I was originally going to buy the Arduino Yun but I am thinking it may be better the buy the UNO and then attach a wifi and/or bluetooth connector to it. I am new to Arduinos and I would love any help!

Thanks, Matt

You may be better choosing the nRF2401 series of radios - much greater range..

Allan

It would help if you explained “neighbouring” better. Adding WiFi to a Uno is not likely to fix anything a Yun can’t do, but some work on antennae, or simply using a WiFi repeater, may be a solution. You may find bluetooth OK if you can use BT4, as it has much more range than plain-vanilla BT2. The NRF24 is a pretty silly solution as, while high power versions probably have the range, it adds unnecessary complication.

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

What are the specs/output protocol of your sensors?

Tom... :)

Nick_Pyner: It would help if you explained "neighbouring" better. Adding WiFi to a Uno is not likely to fix anything a Yun can't do, but some work on antennae, or simply using a WiFi repeater, may be a solution. You may find bluetooth OK if you can use BT4, as it has much more range than plain-vanilla BT2. The NRF24 is a pretty silly solution as, while high power versions probably have the range, it adds unnecessary complication.

Hi Nick,

My greenhouse is a few hundred feet away from my house and I do not feel like adding an additional router. I agree that the best route may be to add an WIFI repeater to the greenhouse and then just go with the YUN.

Thanks, Matt

mgargiulo: I agree that the best route may be to add an WIFI repeater to the greenhouse and then just go with the YUN.

Probably not, it sounds like you are moving the problem rather than solving it. The obvious place for the repeater is half way between the greenhouse and the dwelling house. With that sort of distance, I suspect you will be obliged to use one of the lower frequency radio modules, like 433MHz, but I don't know anything about them. This implies a Uno at both ends, the second one sending received data to phone via bluetooth.

Nick_Pyner: Probably not, it sounds like you are moving the problem rather than solving it. The obvious place for the repeater is half way between the greenhouse and the dwelling house. With that sort of distance, I suspect you will be obliged to use one of the lower frequency radio modules, like 433MHz, but I don't know anything about them. This implies a Uno at both ends, the second one sending received data to phone via bluetooth.

What about adding A GSM shield so the Arduino can run off a cellular network? The downside is the power that this will use in addition to the water quality shield will probably require a mobile battery source.

mgargiulo: My greenhouse is a few hundred feet away from my house and I do not feel like adding an additional router.

Remember you know how far away the greenhouse is, we dont.

'a few hundred feet' is what exactly ?

And what is the path like between the two, clear good line of sight, or round the corner past the house and then up an over a hill out of sight with a dense forest in the way ?

Yes. Clearly, a GSM will work, and also brings its own assets to the table. Power may be the least of your problems as far as communications are concerned. The real downside is the usefulness of the data produced.

There may also be problems with practical operating costs, and the legality of using such a device on the phone network.

There are a lot of choices for communication. if you have full power at both ends, then power is not an issue and you can use WiFi, you would be best to get two WiFi boards, one on each end as matched pairs. if you have line of sight, you could use laser for one way transmission there are more than a few options for radio.

Adafruit Feather has a LoRa, long range, low power, much less power than WiFi, and you might be able to put in a solar panel to power it. http://www.instructables.com/id/LoRa-IOT-Home-Environment-Monitoring-System/