Help with sending wireless commands through xbee modules (802.15.4)

I am trying to get a wireless signal to light up an led on my arduino remotely and the code i have used will be posted below. My problem is I have bought this sparkfun xbee shield to try and send commands from my computer to the xbee on the arduino however it doesnt seem to be working right. I am trying to get a wireless signal to light up an led on my arduino remotely and the code i have used wil be posted below. On the xbee shield it self when it is turned on (whether or not it is powered by computer or remotely using a battery pack) I can see a red light blinking on the led named Dout everytime i type into terminal on x-ctu with the other xbee plugged into my computer. Because of this im convinced i have configured both xbees correctly (they are both PAN 3333) but i dunt get why when i type "1" in terminal my led doesnt light up as expected. If some one could please help me with this I would be very grateful because this is just a start my end goal once i lern how to get this working is to use that knowledge to control this car i have built for a project.

links to parts used: The shield (Sparkfun xbee shield with explorer)

Xbees (They both look exactly like the top left one) http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-wired-embedded-solutions/zigbee-rf-modules/point-multipoint-rfmodules/xbee-series1-module

If i have missed any other important information you need to help me i apologize and will try to quickly get post back.

int led = 12; int i; int myData =0; void setup() { Serial.begin(9600); //DEBUGGING LED pinMode(led,OUTPUT); // }

void loop(){ if(Serial.available()>0){

myData = Serial.read(); if(myData=='1'){ digitalWrite(led,HIGH); Serial.write(myData); } if(myData == '2'){ digitalWrite(led,LOW); Serial.write(myData); } else{ Serial.write(myData); } } }