HELP WITH SERIAL COM

HELP

im using a SFE nano pro (i think), and i am using 0017 in win7.

i can do absolutly everything EXCEPT serial com. i can even send sketches.

whenever i try serial, i always get gibberish. like moonspeak gibberish.
ive done everything…help meeeee

(yes, baud is matching (9600.8.N.1))

How about some of the code you're trying to get serial with?

And are you trying to read with the Serial monitor or another serial device connected to the board?

Remember you can't read anything from the serial port unless it has arrived. You check this with a:-
Serial.available();
which returns the number of unread bytes waiting in the buffer.

Thank you for the thread. Nice reply.....

Thanks for the quick replies.

Im using the "hello world" sketch that is included with the software, it's in the same catagory as the bare minimum sketch.

Im trying to read with the serial monitor included. I've tried 300, 1200, 9600 and 19200 bps.

Sorry about the quality of my last post, it was 01:30 and i was just a wee bit tired :stuck_out_tongue:

Again, thanks all.

(If this is in the wrong section, sorry...)

Do you have a Serial.begin() call in setup? Does the argument baud rate) match the value in the Serial monitor?

Yep, for all the speeds I tried, the speeds have matched.

Just to be sure, I tried using tera term. i still get gibberish, but it is different gibberish. :-?

Wondering:

The serial is 19200,8,N,1 (or any speed)?

and

I'm using a SFE FTDI breakout. Could this be causing problems. Should I try everything in binary? I have a hardware rs-232 level converter, I could use this, but I would need to buy a cable.

Whoops, its a pro mini, not a nano.

Next step, I think, is to post your code. Someone could then try it on their pro mini, and let you know whether it works for them.

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("Hello World!");
}

void loop() {
}

yup.

Which speed is it?

"Serial.begin(9600);"

or

"The serial is 19200,8,N,1 (or any speed)?"

Also if you place the Serial.println("Hello World!"); in the loop portion of your code instead of the setup portion, the data will be continuously sent to your PC terminal program and you can then play with all the serial parameters of your terminal program in real time until it's correct.

Lefty

So you down load this OK?
Then when you run it and open the serial monitor set for the same speed and you get nothing?
I find that hard to believe.

Try putting the print statement inside the loop and add a delay at the end.

Wow, i just had massive fail.

I set the calculations for serial speed to 8Mhz.

I’m running 16Mhz.

Well, that fixes that.

Thanks to retrolefty, I realized my mistake after spending 10 minutes in Tera Term.

Sorry for wasting everyone’s time. Mod’s may delete this thread anytime.