Help with Serial Port Expander

Hi all, I’ve just bought this:

https://www.atlas-scientific.com/product_pages/components/port_expander.html?

and I wired it and it’s working with the demo from the page (with altsoftserial lib, I can get values from sensors and everything. The problem is that now I need to put some “if and the” in the code for the activation of some relays.
I did this many times but it’s pretty hard for me to find the right “spot” in which I should put those conditions.

I’ll post the demo code from the page.
The objective is something like that: if pH is more than X then LOW on relay1, for example.

//This sample code was written on an Arduino UNO.
//It will allow you to control up to 4 Atlas Scientific devices through 1 soft serial RX/TX line.
//To open a channel (marked on the board as  Y0 to Y3) send the number of the channel, a colon and the command ending with a carriage return.

//0:r<CR>
//1:i<CR>
//2:c<CR>
//3:r<CR>

//To open a channel and not send a command just send the channel number followed by a colon.

//1:<CR>
//3:<CR> 

//This code uses the Altsoft softserial library. The library file can be downloaded here: http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_AltSoftSerial.html
//This softserial library Automatically sets TX as pin 9 and RX as pin 8.

#include <AltSoftSerial.h>          //Include the software serial library  
AltSoftSerial altSerial;            //Name the software serial library altSerial (this cannot be omitted)  

int s0 = 7;                         //Arduino pin 7 to control pin S0
int s1 = 6;                         //Arduino pin 6 to control pin S1

char computerdata[20];               //A 20 byte character array to hold incoming data from a pc/mac/other 
char sensordata[30];                 //A 30 byte character array to hold incoming data from the sensors
byte computer_bytes_received=0;      //We need to know how many characters bytes have been received         
byte sensor_bytes_received=0;        //We need to know how many characters bytes have been received

char *channel;                       //Char pointer used in string parsing
char *cmd;                           //Char pointer used in string parsing

void setup() {
  pinMode(s1, OUTPUT);              //Set the digital pin as output.
  pinMode(s0, OUTPUT);              //Set the digital pin as output.
  Serial.begin(38400);              //Set the hardware serial port to 38400
  altSerial.begin(38400);           //Set the soft serial port to 38400
  }

void serialEvent(){               //This interrupt will trigger when the data coming from the serial monitor(pc/mac/other) is received   
           computer_bytes_received=Serial.readBytesUntil(13,computerdata,20); //We read the data sent from the serial monitor(pc/mac/other) until we see a <CR>. We also count how many characters have been received    
           computerdata[computer_bytes_received]=0; //We add a 0 to the spot in the array just after the last character we received.. This will stop us from transmitting incorrect data that may have been left in the buffer
           }    

void loop(){

if(computer_bytes_received!=0){                 //If computer_bytes_received does not equal zero  
        channel=strtok(computerdata, ":");            //Let's parse the string at each colon
        cmd=strtok(NULL, ":");                        //Let's parse the string at each colon 
        open_channel();                               //Call the function "open_channel" to open the correct data path
        altSerial.print(cmd);                         //Send the command from the computer to the Atlas Scientific device using the softserial port 
        altSerial.print("\r");                        //After we send the command we send a carriage return <CR> 
        computer_bytes_received=0;                    //Reset the var computer_bytes_received to equal 0 
        }

if(altSerial.available() > 0){                   //If data has been transmitted from an Atlas Scientific device
       sensor_bytes_received=altSerial.readBytesUntil(13,sensordata,30); //we read the data sent from the Atlas Scientific device until we see a <CR>. We also count how many character have been received 
       sensordata[sensor_bytes_received]=0;           //we add a 0 to the spot in the array just after the last character we received. This will stop us from transmitting incorrect data that may have been left in the buffer
       Serial.println(sensordata);                    //let’s transmit the data received from the Atlas Scientific device to the serial monitor   
     }  
}

void open_channel(){                                  //This function controls what UART port is opened. 

switch (*channel) {                              //Looking to see what channel to open   

case '0':                                      //If channel==0 then we open channel 0     
         digitalWrite(s0, LOW);                       //S0 and S1 control what channel opens 
         digitalWrite(s1, LOW);                       //S0 and S1 control what channel opens  
       break;                                         //Exit switch case

case '1':
         digitalWrite(s0, HIGH);
         digitalWrite(s1, LOW);
       break;

case '2':
         digitalWrite(s0, LOW);
         digitalWrite(s1, HIGH);
       break;

case '3':
         digitalWrite(s0, HIGH);
         digitalWrite(s1, HIGH); 
       break;
      }
 }

If you can show what you hope to do we might be able to help more.

Am I correct in understanding that the example you have reads commands from a PC (on the 'real' serial port) and sends them on to the expander board via the alternate serial port?

If you want to act on the data you read from the expander then your decision code should probably go where the line

Serial.println(sensordata);

currently is.

In that case you may also need to modify the first block of loop() to send commands rather than just wait for input from the serial port.

As I said, people have be able to offer more advice if you show where the sensors and relays are going to be connected.