Help with setting up micro

Hi! I just got a micro, and when I went to set it up it didn't show up in the list of ports even with the right board selected. I tried the trick where you hit the reset button after uploading, I tried reinstalling. The board doesn't even show up in device manager. I'm on windows 10, most recent version of arduino software, etc. Please help! thanks :)

This is the error message

Arduino: 1.6.11 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Micro"

PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} PORTS {} / {} => {} Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.

If it doesn't show up in device manager, even when you reset the board, the drivers are not installed correctly or the board is defective (or chip doesn't have the USB bootloader installed, which most would call a defect).

If it appears then disappears when you reset it, the last sketch you uploaded does something that takes out the USB, so you need to precisely time pressing reset so that when it finishes compiling and tries to upload to the board, you're in that brief window before it starts running the sketch and the USB stops working.

Keep trying the reset ‘trick’. Be patient.

Thinking this could be a win10 specific issue as there are now a few posts with the same issues / messages.

There was a win update "usbhub.sys.mui" (KB3125574) (win 7 >)

Whilst not conclusive I wonder if dropping back from any recent win update that involves the names USBSER or USBHUB might be worth looking at ?

EDIT

Wonder is this may be worth looking at ?

There are similarities in cause. Seen some minor issues on some client machines with win 10 but often resolved by doing full on driver updates from manufacturers for the hardware in question which is usually web cams and keyboards (thank goodness a lot of machines still have ps2 ports or can boot from Hiren CD's)

DrAzzy: If it doesn't show up in device manager, even when you reset the board, the drivers are not installed correctly or the board is defective (or chip doesn't have the USB bootloader installed, which most would call a defect).

If it appears then disappears when you reset it, the last sketch you uploaded does something that takes out the USB, so you need to precisely time pressing reset so that when it finishes compiling and tries to upload to the board, you're in that brief window before it starts running the sketch and the USB stops working.

It's the first time I've used the board, so I have never uploaded a sketch to it myself. I was thinking it's either defective or I need to nupdate drivers, but I tried updating with the drivers in the arduinio dir and it still didnt work.

Also, when I tried updating the drivers to the included drivers, and also to the nightly build. I got the error: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Ballscrewbob: Thinking this could be a win10 specific issue as there are now a few posts with the same issues / messages.

There was a win update "usbhub.sys.mui" (KB3125574) (win 7 >)

Whilst not conclusive I wonder if dropping back from any recent win update that involves the names USBSER or USBHUB might be worth looking at ?

EDIT

Wonder is this may be worth looking at ?

There are similarities in cause. Seen some minor issues on some client machines with win 10 but often resolved by doing full on driver updates from manufacturers for the hardware in question which is usually web cams and keyboards (thank goodness a lot of machines still have ps2 ports or can boot from Hiren CD's)

I tested the usb ports with my mouse, and they're fine. I think the problem is the drivers, but the device wont start even when I manual install the drivers that come with the download. I also tried my old leonardo and that doesn't work either

Just because a mouse works does not rule out other USB related issues.

I have seen a mouse work but not a keyboard, or a mouse and keyboard work but not a web cam. I have seen my MKR1000 suddenly say it needs drivers even though it had run fine for days.

Are you using USB 3.0 ? If so stop and try USB 2.0 ports instead.

Is it a TRUE Arduino or a clone ? if its a clone then does it require the CH340/341 drivers that are NOT included with the IDE ?

Have you tried other USB cables ?

Are you using the computers USB ports or a USB HUB ?

Can you provider a link to where you purchased it (nobody cares where it came from) ?

Yea I bought it from the arduino website, I tried both the front usb ports and the back motherboard ones. The front are usb 3.0, back are 2.0.

Don't use USB 3.0 as they are known to cause quite a few issues with lots of things designed for USB 2.0 and not just Arduino's.

Did you try other USB cables ? Not all micro USB cables are the same. Some are designed just for charging / power and don't always carry the sync / data lines.

I tried using a couple different cables, and the 2.0 ports don't work either. I'm gonna try to call customer support, do they ever reship if its defective? it seems like it is.

I got a new board, but this one doesn't work either!! I'm pretty sure the problem isn't the board now, cuz what are the chances of getting 2 defective boards? The rx light shows up on this one, but didn't on the first one. In my device manager there aren't even any com ports listed (no drop down menu or anything) when I try to manually add the device, it gives me error 10, device could not start. Can anyone help me with this? Also, idk if it means anything but I also have an old leonardo that doesn't show up either, even after trying adding it manually as well, same error code 10.

@ temporalus

putting aside that you are not giving enough information about your issues I am going to have a stab in the dark here.

Maybe google CH340 and try those drivers which do not come with the IDE as CH340 boards are clones and need seperate drivers.

Another stab in the dark with regards your leo is that it is an older (retired) board and whilst the drivers do come with the LEO they are not installed by default. However they are in the IDE folder in the drivers folder if you care to look probaly marked old drivers Maybe FTDI

It uses a 32U4, no separate USB chip