Help with small proyect

Hi, im a complete beginer with arduino and making things like this, well um my problem is im a highschool student and my project is i need to use or make something to control the lights in the house but i know nothing of the materials or the steps to make this I know it requieres C,C# and maybe html and java that i do know i but well as you can see i could really use some guidance on where to start o a link to page with a guide o tutorial on how to make this so i can start learing how to make this project

Can you be more specific about your project objective "control lights" is pretty vague . (control how ? when ?)

yeah sorry umm using my pc or an iphone so that i can turn the lights of my house on or off with a press of a button. i dont know if im making myself clear

Were you planning on re-wring your light switches?

If you are thinking about controlling lamps, etc. Belkin's WeMo home automation product is already available. http://www.belkin.com/us/Products/home-automation/c/wemo-home-automation/ You can turn the lamp on/off with your smartphone.

Yes i am because my teacher wants me to also rewire the classroom lights so he can turn them on with his pc or iphone or ipad, so yeah i have i think ill have to rewire the lights.

I know you are only in HS but have you heard of Google yet ?

yeah sorry umm using my pc or an iphone so that i can turn the lights of my house on or off with a press of a button. i dont know if im making myself clear] yeah sorry umm using my pc or an iphone so that i can turn the lights of my house on or off with a press of a button. i dont know if im making myself clear

How about doing us a favor and taking a break from the forum while you research your project with Google. Look up Solid State Relays 220 vac/10A

Be sure any device connecting to the permanent wiring of a structure is UL-approved and is installed by a licensed electrician. A student messing about with mains in a school building is a chilling thought. I sure as heck wouldn't let my son or daughter attend a school that let students even think about opening up a junction box.

I'm not even sure the teacher suggesting it should still have a job.

Umm Rashamel thank you ofr the advice and sorry for the trouble and tylernt im not from america im from El Salvador and my school inst big at all its at most has 10 classrooms have of which dont have electricity. And the asignment or project is to build/ construct a device which lets you control the lights via pc/phone or tablet. Ive heard about adruino being useful for these things beacuse of the diferent type of components you can conect and use. I will do more research and once I have a solid idea ill maybe ask for guidance again and thanks to everybody for your coments and sugestions and sorry for bothering

JuanPablo, even if you are not in the US, people can still be killed by electrocution or fire as a result of unskilled individuals messing with high voltage building wiring. Please, be safe. We don't want you or the other students getting hurt.

Now, if your building wiring consists of 12V DC from a solar cell or something, then that's pretty safe and you should feel free to go ahead with your project.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Control-Arduino-Board-Wirelessly-With-iPhone-iPad/

and sorry for bothering

Nobody said you were a bother. I said you need to do some research. Clearly that is totally different than saying you are bothering us. Don't get defensive. Listen to the message content. Research. Google., nothing more.