Help with Smart Workbench, Arduino UNO - LED strip - Powerpoint

I'll start off by saying i've never used an arduino or programmed anything before. I've reached a point where I can individually address each LED and use the RGB functions.

My task is to somehow link this with Microsoft Powerpoint (not my choice) in a way that each slide on powerpoint displays a different array on the LED strip.

For example when slide 1 of the presentation is displayed, LEDs 4, 5 and 10 light green

when slide 2 is displayed, LEDs 1, 8, 9, 14 light green etc.

Is this possible? :o

Hi BoolaWill,

This sounds tricky, and although it shouldn't be impossible it is hard if you have very little experience. Easiest way for a computer to talk to the arduino is through a usb serial connection. But how to get the pc to export what slide it is on seems to be the hard bit here.

Could you maybe explain a bit more about why you would want to do this. Maybe we can find a way to make it easier.

Can’t give too much as it’s a workplace thing.

In essence though, say you’re constructing a part on a workbench. On a display it will say step 1 with instructions on what to do, meanwhile certain LEDs will illuminate the relevant component tubs so you can collect what you need. Then when you click to the next slide, the next corresponding tubs illuminate etc.

hmmm okay,

I understand companies need to have secrecy etc. but expecting help on a open forum on open source software can be tricky if you want to keep stuff secret.

That being said the first option i would go for is using the same button to go to the next slide as the button for controlling the arduino. For instance just open up an old pc mouse and use the arduino to monitor the button press aswell.

Another option is for the arduino to read a simple button and use the serial to send a command to the pc which will result in something like a simulated press enter (the pc will think you pressed enter and went to the next slide.) But i would not know how to do that in windows.

Third option which you could look into is using a raspberry pi to run everything (it would run a open source version of office instead of the microsoft one since it runs on linux, but converting a presentation would be simple). The raspberry pi runs an operating system and is more like a mini pc. you can hookup monitors and keyboards and everything up to it with the hdmi/usb ports. The advantage of all this is that you can make the whole setup smaller (which is good cause it should fit in a workbench) and dont need to bother with communication as much. Have a look at this tutorial remote controll ppt . Just replace the remote with a button and add controll for the LED's. This would also make it a bit cheeper than having a pc.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Thank you for your comment, teunman. It was very helpful!

I must admit that unfortunately, I have no idea how to link it with Microsoft Powerpoint. Companies need to keep secrecy over a considerable part of their activity because rival companies might use their secrets against them, which would ultimately lead to a potential disaster for them. In order to create awesome presentations, you need to possess both the knowledge and the skills required. When making a presentation, you need to create an easy-to-follow structure, have a strong opening and be genuine.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.