Help with Software Serial on Arduino Micro

I'm new to using arduino. I have an Arduino Micro and I'm trying to set up something called a software serial? Basically trying to use the rx and tx pins while plugged into the computer to get data output in the serial monitor.

Could somebody help me out with the basic code needed to do this?

Basically trying to use the rx and tx pins while plugged into the computer to get data output in the serial monitor.

Which rx and tx pins? If you are trying to use the hardware serial pins to do software serial, that will not work.

Yeah, i kind of figured i couldn't use the hardware tx and rx pins because i think the usb uses those pins. Is there a way to simulate that by using different pins? I read something about using software serial to do that but i have not been successful.

If i could get help with that, it would be very cool.

because i think the usb uses those pins.

Correct.

Is there a way to simulate that by using different pins?

What are you trying to talk to, using SoftwareSerial? If whatever you are trying to talk to is connected to two digital pins, you can use SoftwareSerial with those two pins.

What you can't do is talk to the PC, over the USB to serial converter, using SoftwareSerial.

I'm not trying to send commands to my computer. I'm just trying to read the data on that pin using my computer as a display. Or more specifically, I am trying to read data coming out of a tx pin on a separate chip and using the arduino micro as my processor to display it on the computer. Are you saying that cannot be done with the Arduino micro period?

Only the hardware serial can use the usb connector on the Arduino. Software serial cannot. If you want to use software serial to send data to a serial monitor on a PC you need something to convert the serial data in to usb. You can use another Arduino or an adaptor.

When I need to debug and cannot use the hardware serial I use an FTDI adaptor connected to the Arduino via software serial (I use pins 2 & 3). My windows PC treats this as a regular COM port and anything sent over software serial can be displayed in a serial monitor.

I'm not trying to send commands to my computer. I'm just trying to read the data on that pin using my computer as a display. Or more specifically, I am trying to read data coming out of a tx pin on a separate chip and using the arduino micro as my processor to display it on the computer.

This still sounds like you are trying to do SoftwareSerial on the hardware serial pins, while also doing hardware serial on those pins. You can not do that.

When you get around to supplying some code, AND a wiring diagram, I'll check back in.