help with standalone arduino clone: programmer not responding

Hi all, newbie here so apologies if my questions are trivial.

Basically, I am trying to make a standalone Arduino clone that combines capabilities from different shields into one board. The board is supposed to have XBee connectivity, along with capability to use Li-Po battery via self-charging circuit, while also displaying battery levels. Namely, the schematics I am referencing to are the following:

SparkFun USB to Serial Breakout - FT232RL - BOB-12731 - SparkFun Electronics (FT232RL for the USB-to-Serial communication)
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12847 (for XBee capability)
SparkFun LiPower Shield - DEV-13158 - SparkFun Electronics (for lipo battery charging and power)

For the MCU, I have taken the Atmega 328P straight from an Arduino Uno so I believe bootloader uploading/editing is no longer necessary. I then connected with the FT232RL via a similar schematic to this tutorial: Arduino - Setting up an Arduino on a breadboard. Also following the tutorial, I instead use an SMD version of the 16MHz clock/22pf capacitor pair configuration as in the tutorial.

Power delivery is fine so far since the 5V and 3.3V power LEDs on my board are lighting up (which means power is being delivered as per my schematic). However when I try to upload a program onto it, the IDE returns the stk500_recv():programmer not responding error.

My questions for this are:

1. I have read on other topics that since the Arduino Uno is using a resonator/external clock the Fuse settings would be different from using an external crystal (which my board has right now). So is this a possible cause of the issue, and that I need to reconfigure the fuse settings of the Atmega chip, or is this supposed to be still okay and there are other causes?

2. Please do also note that I have also tried to swap out the external crystal with the resonator/1MOhm configuration found on the Uno board, and still get the same error, which makes me unsure of the cause.

3. Do I actually need to choose another board from the Board manager to actually upload sketches onto this ‘standalone’ config? Currently my IDE’s board manager has the Arduino Uno chosen

The board layout and schematic files (EAGLE files) are attached in this topic as well.

Thank you and looking forward for some kind replies!

Board_schem_layout.zip (92 KB)

[quote author=Nick_Sadjoli link=msg=3844774 date=1534613399
For the MCU, I have taken the Atmega 328P straight from an Arduino Uno so I believe bootloader uploading/editing is no longer necessary.
[/quote]
Correct.

Nick_Sadjoli:

1. I have read on other topics that since the Arduino Uno is using a resonator/external clock the Fuse settings would be different from using an external crystal (which my board has right now). So is this a possible cause of the issue, and that I need to reconfigure the fuse settings of the Atmega chip, or is this supposed to be still okay and there are other causes?

The current fuse settings should be fine. The Uno's fuses are set for a very conservative start-up time so they will work for the longer SUT requirements of a crystal as well as the resonator.

Nick_Sadjoli:
3. Do I actually need to choose another board from the Board manager to actually upload sketches onto this 'standalone' config? Currently my IDE's board manager has the Arduino Uno chosen

Having Uno selected is correct.

Nick_Sadjoli:
I then connected with the FT232RL via a similar schematic to this tutorial: Arduino - Setting up an Arduino on a breadboard.

That tutorial doesn't show you how to wire the auto-reset circuitry the Uno has. I didn't look at your design files to see whether you have the auto-reset circuit. Without the auto-reset circuit you will need to manually reset the ATmega328P at just the right time as the upload starts (after the compilation has finished). If you want to add the auto-reset circuit, you only need to connect the FT232's DTR pin to the ATmega328P's reset pin via a 0.12 uF capacitor. This is a better version of the tutorial you used which does show the auto-reset:
http://www.gammon.com.au/breadboard

Oh, indeed I didn't connect DTR to the RST pin. So basically with this layout as is, whenever I want to upload a new sketch I need to always hit the Reset switch, is it?

Is there any other value of the capacitors that will do, or is 0.12 uF the only possible value to for the capacitor if I may know?

I will try this and report back to you on the results then pert. Thanks!

Oops. The "0.12" was a typo. I meant to write 0.1. Sorry about that. I'm sure there is a range around 0.1 uF that will work fine.

Oh alright noted. Will try with 0.1uF value then. Thanks!

Using the resonator may mean that the baud rate you select may not be what you think it is, and as the frequency is not that accurate you may still have problems . Why not program it elsewhere , then fit to your circuit board ?

@hammy, you misread. The ceramic resonator is what the Uno uses. Nick_Sadjoli is using a crystal oscillator.

Apologies !