Help with TowerPro MG995 grounding

TowerPro MG995 works if powered through Arduino (Arduino connected to CPU via USB) and grounded VIA the breadboard. Won’t work if I don’t use the breadboard and connect the ground wire of the servo directly to the Arduino. Please Help me understand the issue.

The Servo will just jitter while the Arduino connects and disconnects in the second case where the servo’s ground wire is connected directly to the Arduino.

That makes no sense. Perhaps there is a loose contact with the power header?

I don't see a significant difference. Probably a contact problem. Maybe the breadboard can contact thin wires better than the female headers on the arduino.

lg, couka

Hi, this is a clue:

The Servo will just jitter while the Arduino connects and disconnects in the second case

The Arduino resetting usually means the servo is drawing too much current. You really need a separate power supply for the Servo, or external power to the Arduino. Maybe your breadboard has just enough added resistance that the servos does not reset the Arduino.

BUT: You never say where the power is coming from... IF USB then it's unlikely it will work. Try connecting an external power supply of 9 to 12 volts to the Arduino external power connection.

Other solutions for more Servo power, and more servos:

An UNO compatible with higher-power voltage regulator, like the YourDuino RoboRED with 2 Amps available.

OR a "Sensor Shield" plugged on an UNO like this "Sensor Shield (Version 5X) Separate 5V for Servos" This allows a separate power supply for servos and each servos can just plug in a 3-pin connector.

OR if you have a MEGA, the MEGA Sensor Shield also has separate servo power supply available.