Help with wifi shield

Hi everyone!

I'm getting started with the wifi shield and to test i wanted to do a simple program, read data from temperature sensor and print them in a file on my pc.

I know that i'm going to need 2 programs, one that sends data from the arduino board to a port on my pc written in arduino code and another one to read data from that port and print them in a file, this program is non-important because i'm writing this in visual C+.

My question is: how do i get my arduino board to send data to a port on my pc without having to have it connected to a server? I'm reading the wifi reference but i cant find anything that can help me

Any help is highly appreciated :smiley:

without having to have it connected to a server?

Without having what connected to a server?

The WiFi shield allows the Arduino to connect to a network, wirelessly. The Arduino can be a client, making requests to a server anywhere in the network, or it can be a server, responding to requests from any client in the network.

PaulS:
Without having what connected to a server?

The WiFi shield allows the Arduino to connect to a network, wirelessly. The Arduino can be a client, making requests to a server anywhere in the network, or it can be a server, responding to requests from any client in the network.

That's the point, it doesnt have to connect to a network, I just want to make a direct connection with my pc without having to make my pc a server, just connect to a port and stream data, is that possible?

That's the point, it doesnt have to connect to a network, I just want to make a direct connection with my pc without having to make my pc a server, just connect to a port and stream data, is that possible?

What's the point of the WiFi shield, then? Why not just use the USB cable?

If the point is to be wireless, the fact that you don't want a network matters not a whit. You have a bunch of pieces of hardware that are designed to, and are going to, form a network.

PaulS:
What's the point of the WiFi shield, then? Why not just use the USB cable?

If the point is to be wireless, the fact that you don't want a network matters not a whit. You have a bunch of pieces of hardware that are designed to, and are going to, form a network.

I'm building an acceleration sensor, the cable cannot be in the way or it will false my experiments... And no, i'm not passing all the files to an sd and then to the computer, there must be an easy way to write files on pc via wifi shield...

there must be an easy way to write files on pc via wifi shield...

There is. You just don't want to do it that way.

I am using wifi sheild RS232 ,but when i am emulate my code i will get error on WIFI_SHEILD_NOT_PRESENT.
What can i do now any one help me
THANK YOU