Help!!!

When operating on 9v what voltage is seen on the battery, and on the 5v pin.

Is it one of these? |336x500 .

I'm afraid I don't have a multimeter (its at school). What are you suggesting - that the battery is not powerful enough?

Warwick

If it is a PP3 it is important the voltage does not sag.

What exactly do you mean by PP3?

Warwick

PP3 = battery size as pictured in Reply #20.

I cannot see the picture - my computer blocked it.

It's a 9V battery with the two terminals on one end. http://www.amazon.com/b?node=389576011

So yes, my battery is a PP3. How will this affect my LCD?

Warwick

The important thing is your hardware must be supplied with adequate power. Get your voltmeter and measure the voltage.

As I said back in post #21, I don't have a voltmeter - I left it @ school. :( However, I am glad to say that my problem is solved. I used four AA batteries, which of course gives less voltage but has a higher amperage. My screen is no longer blank! I hope to launch my contraption today. :)

Thanks to everyone who helped me!

Warwick

Time to get a voltmeter at both locations ;)

Glad you have things working now. 1x1.5 = 6v If your Arduino is an UNO you need at leased ~7.5v

What Arduino are you using? .

An Arduino Uno! (try to imagine the Italian accent) I have used this before (I once made a remote controlled car) It seems to carry out all the functions I need splendidly. Why do I need 7.5 volts? For stability of the system?

Warwick

The technical specifications for the UNO: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

Feeding the UNO from the power jack requires 7-12vdc (recommended).

At 7 volts input. There is an input diode drop of .7volts leaving on 6.3v for the on board voltage regulator. The regulator has a max drop of ~1.2v at 800ma so 5+1.2=6.2v 6.2+.7= 6.9v That is, the minimum voltage you need is ~7 volts input.

At a 6 volt battery you are on the verge of under powering the UNO.

Hiya Larry,

It’s one the verge, or just barely on the other side, at 4.48 volts. I’ve seen lots of projects done with a aa 4 pack as the power source.

Even better (especially for a flying device, since weight is premium) is a 3 pack, giving 4.5 volts, fed directly into the 5V pin, bypassing the 5v (and 3v?) regulator(s). I have read somewhere (possibly here) that the power is considered ‘in spec’ between 4.5 and 5.5 volts on a UNO.

arduinopowerwith4aacells.gif

Chris, I too have used 4.5v (3x1.5 fresh batteries) to power the 5 volt pin directly with good success. I have also used 6v through a silicon diode (6 - .7=5.3v) to power the 5 volt pin. I supposed adding a schottky diode for ~.3v more, could also be added.

The OP had problems with a 9v pp3 battery that was probably depleted.

LarryD: Chris, I too have used 4.5v (3x1.5 fresh batteries) to power the 5 volt pin directly with good success. I have also used 6v through a silicon diode (6 - .7=5.3v) to power the 5 volt pin. I supposed adding a schottky diode for ~.3v more, could also be added.

The OP had problems with a 9v pp3 battery that was probably depleted.

Love the diodes! Am I right in thinking that choosing an operating voltage less then 5 volts, the diodes would protect the batteries from seeing a reverse voltage if USB or Vin power is used while the batteries are installed? Like this:

|500x477

Perhaps this would be useful for students such as our OP? (A couple weeks ago though..., right Mr. Shaw? :smiling_imp: )

ps, @WarwickShaw, please let us know how your launch went. If it was good, pictures would be great!