Heltec esp32 lora will not up load any sketches..fails to connect

Just got this new board with display and lora functions.
The problem is I can't get it to upload anything.

"A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header"

The only usb modem option I have is bluetooth and nothing else .... could this be my problem
If it is any idea what I should be using ..... I have only ever used and UNO

I have tried holding the buttons in when connecting but made no difference !!!

Mty:
The only usb modem option I have is bluetooth and nothing else .... could this be my problem

If you have the wrong port selected from the Tools > Port menu then you certainly have no chance of a successful upload. The correct port should appear in the menu after you plugin in the ESP32 board and it should disappear after you unplug the ESP32 board. You need to reopen the Tools > Port menu each time to refresh its contents.

If no port is showing up for the ESP32 board then it either means you need to install the driver for the USB to TTL serial chip on the board or else you are using a defective or charge-only USB cable.

Fixed now.
After trying 7 USB cables I found one that will transmit data. Such a simple thing to get wrong.

I'm glad to hear you got it working!

I had trouble with my ESP32 board not being recognized using a USB cable that works fine on a bunch of other boards. I switched to a different USB cable and it started working fine. I'm not sure what was wrong. Maybe the connector wasn't getting good contact.