Hexapod - Arduino Mega 2560

Hello!

I'm making a hexapod for my college final project ( I have no idea how it's called in english :slight_smile: ) and I want to clear some things out before destroying something.

I'm using 18 servos, the classic chassis that you find online and an Arduino Mega 2560. Here is my first problem. I saw a lot of robots with 16+ servos that run on Arduino alone. I'm new in the "business" but from what I know you control a servo through a PWM pin and the Mega has only 15 of them. Can you control a servo through another pin ?

Also, I want to control my hexapod with an app on my phone and I'm not yet decided if I want Bluetooth or WiFI but I saw for both options the XBee add-on. My question is , do I have to write the driver myself or does the little add-on work plug-and-play?

Thank you for your time, see you around !

you can control a servo through not only PWM pin also through another pins.

The Servo library supports up to 12 motors on most Arduino boards and 48 on the Arduino Mega.

Read more detail on this page

I have no idea how it's called in english

Your final year project? Or the hexapod? You are using both appropriately.

but from what I know you control a servo through a PWM pin

No. You can use any pin.

My question is , do I have to write the driver myself or does the little add-on work plug-and-play?

What add-on? A bluetooth shield is just a radio link to get data from the app on the phone to the Arduino. All the smarts need to be in the phone app and in the Arduino sketch.

PaulS:
Your final year project? Or the hexapod? You are using both appropriately.
No. You can use any pin.
What add-on? A bluetooth shield is just a radio link to get data from the app on the phone to the Arduino. All the smarts need to be in the phone app and in the Arduino sketch.

In my country we call that project "Licence project".

What is the difference between controlling it with PWM or with any other pin? I looked it up online but I can't find any solid info , even on this website the example for servos is on a PWM pin.

I was referring to the shield, I'm a software guy, I forgot the name :stuck_out_tongue:

Before Arduino 0017, servo control using PWM hardware, but since Arduino 0017 it change to using Software Servo Library and able to drive servos on all of your pins.

http://playground.arduino.cc/ComponentLib/Servo

BillHo:
Before Arduino 0017, servo control using PWM hardware, but since Arduino 0017 it change to using Software Servo Library and able to drive servos on all of your pins.

http://playground.arduino.cc/ComponentLib/Servo

I see now , thank you :slight_smile: