Hexsapod robot

For my school project I decided to make a robot, a hexapod robot to be exact. I'm planing on using 12 servo motors(light ones because the whole robot will not be that heavy) and I still can't decide on what board to use for it. Now keep in mind that it's controlled through wifi from my phone. I know how to program the servos and I also know how to make the app for my phone, my wifi knowledge is soso but I can learn it. Could you please recommend a arduino board for the project.

Thank you for your time Ivor

An arduino Nano would do with a PWM I2C board.

You could use bluetooth if you do not need very remote access (although the idea of a wifi webcam on it may be tempting no?).

Bluetooth modules = HC-05.

Webcam is a good idea, but I want to finish the basic movement just to impress the 60+ year old professors. Thank you for your recommendation, I will definitely look into the HC05.

Ivor

MrIvorVra:
Webcam is a good idea, but I want to finish the basic movement just to impress the 60+ year old professors.
Thank you for your recommendation, I will definitely look into the HC05.

Ivor

Right. An expansion would be 18 PWM servos for a more “accurate” representation of hexapod movement.

2 on each limb is like having only a hip and knee…it is a bit “clunky”.

PS. Your 60yo professors will have been around at the time electronics was shriking and probably contributed themselves to some rather amazing science and engineering…a clunky hexapod may not be as impressive as you first think…

They will however be impressed by maybe a 3 joint (18 servo) hexapod with code all written by yourself…a library for movement.

Well, I already started to write the library for the servos. I even test the movement on model i've built. My concern about a 18 servo setup is that the robot will be to heavy for it to move around. And I live in Croatia so that those professors don't know what changes have happened over the years. But I will look into the math to see if the 18 servo setup is feasible.

What's wrong with the hip-and-knee model? An active ankle is required only for high speed sprints, kicking balls or operating foot pedals, as I've learned from my artificial lower leg. Otherwise a flexible (or spring armed) foot (base plate) is sufficient, if ever required with a hexapod.